We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Weird sizing on monitor

zebideedoodah

Likes # 0

HI

Just been given a new monitor - it's a widescreen Delium TFT LM1805 (model no TW185G). Plugged it into my desktop, running XP, and the maximum display size I can get is a strip about two-thirds of the height of the screen, centred. Tried Control Panel/Display/Settings but the highest resolution I can get is 1280 x 1024 and although there doesn't seem to be much info on the net, I think this monitor is designed for a res of 1440 x 900. The only mode that matches the screen's proportions is 800 x 600 and then of course the quality's rubbish.

Graphics card is a SiS650, PC's quite old but runs well - usually.

I feel a right wally but I'm a bit stumped on this one. How can I get the display to match the screen size? Is it down to the graphics card? Is there a way to sort this without replacing the card?

thanks in advance for your advice

Chris

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This is what I read first SIS support 1440 x 900. I then downloaded and installed the UniVGA3 driver from the same site. Be prepared for it take some time and possibly trying again. Back up data first.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Kevscar

1440 x 900 is quite common on widescreen 19" monitors and laptops.

Like this post
zebideedoodah

Likes # 0

That would be great. Thanx.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

See my 2.47 post

Like this post
zebideedoodah

Likes # 0

OK. Just got back in.

Getting a bit lost now.

I found this (on SiS.com):

SiS Chipset Identification Online Utility

Results:

North Bridge Chipset: 651
South Bridge Chipset: 962/962L Graphics Processing Unit: SiS Real256 Graphics

Related drivers:

Categories DensityDevice Available for Download Graphics SiS Real256 Graphics Download Now AGP SiS Acceleration Graphic Port Download Now IDE SiS IDE Controller Download Now USB USB 1.1 / USB 2.0 N/A. Provided by OS.
Audio SiS 7012 Audio Controller Download Now LAN SiS 900 FastEthernetController Download Now

Also found this: (on My Computer Information, through the Help and Support option on the XP Start menu)

Video Card
Model: SiS 650 Driver: sisgrp.sys 24 March 2004 Supported

Also found this (on http://w3.sis.com/support/supportfaqs4.htm#73):

1. If your VBIOS version is not 2.28.00 or later, you have to update your BIOS, please contact your board maker or system provider to get BIOS update support.

It then lists UniVGA2 and UniVGA3 as possible drivers for SiS650 and 651 - both of which are referenced on the different utilities I've looked at.

This is unfamiliar territory to me now. I'm by no means expert, although I can find my way around reasonably well. I'm not afraid to tackle this (quite enjoying it really) but I really don't want to do something that will be instantly irreversible or will leave me with a blank screen.

There seems to be a posssible contradiction here in terms of the 650/651 chipset. Are they the same thing?

And when you say back up data first, you mean back up the hard drive?

Like this post
zebideedoodah

Likes # 0

Damn - that was all neatly laid out when I put the message together...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The driver you want can be accessed through this page SIS Download. You have to agree to the terms and conditions and tick the box. The driver you then want is the UniVGA3 one and is listed under latest drivers at the bottom of that page.

Back up your data first.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Did you crack it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room