We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Weird sizing on monitor

zebideedoodah

Likes # 0

HI

Just been given a new monitor - it's a widescreen Delium TFT LM1805 (model no TW185G). Plugged it into my desktop, running XP, and the maximum display size I can get is a strip about two-thirds of the height of the screen, centred. Tried Control Panel/Display/Settings but the highest resolution I can get is 1280 x 1024 and although there doesn't seem to be much info on the net, I think this monitor is designed for a res of 1440 x 900. The only mode that matches the screen's proportions is 800 x 600 and then of course the quality's rubbish.

Graphics card is a SiS650, PC's quite old but runs well - usually.

I feel a right wally but I'm a bit stumped on this one. How can I get the display to match the screen size? Is it down to the graphics card? Is there a way to sort this without replacing the card?

thanks in advance for your advice

Chris

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Your graphics are on-board and not actually a 'card'. You can search for an update but I don't think it will be up to the demands of the monitor.

Like this post
zebideedoodah

Likes # 0

Damn. Does that mean I'd need a new card to drive the monitor?

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

You could try this Monitor INF file if your resolution is not listed it is possible to edit the file to create a custom setting of 1440 x 900 by opening it in notepad (don`t forget to save after editing) you can then use it to update your current monitor driver on the display settings window tabs

If it works then great but if not use the driver roll back feature to reset it to as was

http://www.videoi.com/~pietro/monitor/

Cheers HC

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I don't suppose you can drag the disply up and sideways to fit the screen.

Like this post
zebideedoodah

Likes # 0

Interesting. No, I can't drag anything diagonally, that was the screen area I meant, not the window size.

Thanks very much for the .inf tip (and all other responses). I did try it but can't seem to get the system to recognise the new file I saved, apart from now referring to it as a NoLimits monitor as opposed to Plug and Play. I did, through some ferreting about manage to change the refresh rate from 60hz to 75hz, with immediate and spectacular effect. I now have a full scrren of display, but the proportions still aren't right. Given the physical size of the screen (approx 16" x 8") I need something like a 2:1 ratio, which I can't seem to find.

Any ideas?

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Never heard of that ratio before. Have you tried the monitors setup menu to see if you can change it that way.

Like this post
zebideedoodah

Likes # 0

Been through the setup - all it has is two settings - native (normal ratio) and full screen.

Like this post
zebideedoodah

Likes # 0

Been through the setup - all it has is two settings - native (normal ratio) and full screen.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

According to last post on http://answers.comet.co.uk/answers/0331-en_gb/product/605301/questions.htm it should display okay with resolution of 1024 x 768 fullscreen (without a black border)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Bear with me whilst I look this up but I managed to get a monitor 1440 x 900 workign with sis graphics but it did mean installing new drivers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback