We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Aspire One Netbook won't charge/boot up

jent
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have an Acer Aspire One (ZG5) Netbook on Windows XP that seems pretty dead!

A while ago it was working through mains power but sometimes the power indicator LED wouldn't come on and the power lead needed a wiggle to start working properly. However now, there are no lights or power at all. The netbook also does not work without the battery through the mains. So I can't charge or boot the netbook.

I don't think its the ac adapter that's the problem, I'm thinking there's a loose connection somewhere. Question is, can I fix it, and how? Is it gunna be uber expensive? Has it already gone to netbook heaven?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds as if the the DC jack socket has come loose on the motherboard.

Repairable but not an easy task for an amateur. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdbv3tdttk

However be absolutely certain it isn't a broken wire at the jack plug use a meter to check voltage from centre pin to outer pin on jack and wriggle the cable as you check to make sure voltage isn't lost.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'