We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Networking an 'elderly' Sony Bravia KDL46 5000 via powerline?

Dave Marshall

Likes # 0

I'm attempting to network my 2007 Sony Bravia and connect to my BT Hub. Set's too old to have USB or DNLA but does have a vga input.Does anyone know if a powerline plug system will give me net/pc access, with video and audio if I use an ethernet to vga adaptor at the back of the TV? Am I being too optimistic? Thanks - Dave

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Am I being too optimistic? Yes.

The easy way, is to purchase yourself a new Blu-ray Player with Net Functionality.

Like this post
Dave Marshall

Likes # 0

Thanks, Beta. I'm not a great movie fan so, do I buy a cheapie 'net capable' Blu-ray player, connect that by ethernet to my mains powerline plug and connect to the tv by HDMI. The other powerline plug is ethernet wired to my BT modem/router so will this give me full internet on my Bravia W5000? e.g. iPlayer,You-Tube,websites and access to any stored content on my network? Also will my iPhone apps show on screen? e.g. Planefinder etc? Thanks for your guidance - (ever optimistic) Dave.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

"so will this give me full internet on my Bravia W5000? e.g. iPlayer,You-Tube,websites and access to any stored content on my network?"

Yes. Depending on which Player you choose.

As for the iPhone, no.

Like this post
Dave Marshall

Likes # 0

Beta - Thanks for that. Found an LG Blu-ray with Wi-fi and almost full internet at less than £100. Just got to justify it at the breakfast table soon! thnks for your help. Cheers, Dave

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote