We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook Problem

Johnallan

Likes # 0

PC running Vista 64bit, MS 2007 Standard and Norton 360. Also have BT Infinity. All runs fine with with MS products except Outlook which recently started having problems. Initially I could not swap windows to bring up calendar and the task pane shows nothing except the flags are blank and keep flickering. A new problem is with email, which when typing is extremely slow and is my main concern as I send out 10-15 lengthy business emails a day.

I have run MS Diagnostics from Outlook and comes back with no problems. I have re-run MS Office, repair. I have run every facility in Norton 360. Searched the MS website and found nothing that looks like it might help.

Can someone please help me with identifying the problem and / or recommend further diagnostics?

Many thanks

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

1. Archive many of your old e-mails and compact the file (latter File - Data file Management - select the relevant file and click on settings and then chosse compact. This can take a long time and unable to access e-mails while doing it)

2. Scanpst and ScanOst Outlook data files as a corruption may be the cause.

3. Consider creating a new profile.

How much ram do you have?

Like this post
Johnallan

Likes # 0

Many thanks Woolwell, I have never archived and kept most email, so worthwhile exercise. I had considered removing Outlook and re-installing but when trying to remove it get's a bit scary for me because it asks do I want to remove MS Office, which I don't. I'm not confident that when backing up my email has been stored and there is quite a lot of business stuff that I need to keep.

I have 8 GB of ram

Like this post
Johnallan

Likes # 0

Woolwell, I have archived with no improvement but interestingly when searching ScanOst or Scanpst they cannot be found. Went onto Outlook help and used their drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12 and still did not find anything. Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem?

Thanks for your help

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

They should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12. Check that they are not hidden files. If they are missing then a re-install is probably the best way forward.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'