We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

? How to - Create Image backup on Ext Drive, pls

AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi

I have, very recently, bought myself an External Drive, for backup. I'm able to copy files/docs across but I haven't a clue as to how to create an image backup of OS and installed programs etc.

Having just read the post re (Teamviewer) scams, I realise I'm now in a position to have this backup, and how vital it is!

So, please, in 'simple' language, could you explain.

I'm using Win XP but have Vista on my laptop - would like to do both machines.

Thanks very much

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Brilliant! Thanks so much

I'm not going to be able to do anything much until, probably, Weds now as have stuff arranged etc. So, you can relax for a few days!!! ;)

Thanks again, all much appreciated

Thanks to all others who contributed and, stlucia2, I hope you have got the answers you needed too!

Cheers

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

yvw. See you anon then.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

By the end of the week, no doubt!!! ;) If not, you'll know all has gone well :) Cheers, and thx

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

PS Just a thought. 100GB is quite a lot.

The Macrium Create Image Wizard has an Advanced box just before you hit Finish.

Might be an idea to select Max compression.

Although this is considered less reliable, it does save a lot of space.

Or you could make a standard compression image to keep, and future ones at max. Just an idea.

When you are comfortable with making images, you can consider Paragon or buying Acronis which will let you make incremental image backups and also save space.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thanks AroundAgain, and all the others, there's been plenty of good stuff here.

I make regular Acronis Backups, usually incrementally, but from time to time I start with a new one from scratch. I now understand the difference between Clone and Backup, but I still can't help wondering what benefit Clone is if one's got full backups. Presumably it's just for someone who hasn't got backups and wants to do a one-off disc-swap.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite