We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

? How to - Create Image backup on Ext Drive, pls

AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi

I have, very recently, bought myself an External Drive, for backup. I'm able to copy files/docs across but I haven't a clue as to how to create an image backup of OS and installed programs etc.

Having just read the post re (Teamviewer) scams, I realise I'm now in a position to have this backup, and how vital it is!

So, please, in 'simple' language, could you explain.

I'm using Win XP but have Vista on my laptop - would like to do both machines.

Thanks very much

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

OK, here is the screenshot for Ext Drive There was no option, on R click, for Manage/Disc Management, so went to Properties. It's a 1Tb drive, so all the drive is showing, so obviously not partitioned.

So, have to discover how to Partition it!!! Oh, what fun ... ;)

By the way, what has Imageshack got to do with Facebook, please? When I went to look at the image, it open up a message window for a FB message. Is there a way I can stop this happening, please?

Cheers, and thanks again

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

No first 3 didn't but I saw it was 853 etc and then these two are fine.

I need to see the new ext drive as well.

Plug it in and do another please.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Oops belay that

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Ok so you have C, E and new 1TB F:.

Install and run Macrium.

(untick the marketing Ask Toolbar during installation if you get a page for it)

You can partition F: further anytime. Not now. I want to get you done on an image.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi On Ext Drive (WD Elements (F:)), on Right clicking, I can only get the following options

The previous post of mine has the link to the Properties of WD Elements (F:) where it says 'screenshot for Ext Drive'

Does that help you?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

No sorry, I did see it. It's OK, just run Macrium.

Oh and you could mkae a new folder F:\yourcomputername.

eg I have two computers. TOWER2004 AND LAPTOP2009. Since you will be saving files from both, it may be a good idea.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot. You've spent a lot of time on this, this evening I do appreciate your help I'll try using Macrium and see how I get on with it. Presumably it will help me set up a partition? Thanks again Cheers

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Sorry, just re thought about your post. Will set up separate files. Cheers and thanks

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You don't need to setup a partition just now, they are all setup.

Run Macrium, select Backup Tasks/Create Image, select c: and e:. Follow your nose.

Note you have 100GB+ to back up which will take 100+ mins with USB2. Might be a bit late tonight.

You need to make a Macrium boot disc which is used in case your main drive ever fails.

Get a blank CD or DVD. Macrium menu/Other Tasks/Create Rescue CD. Label it!!

I'll be on tomorrow morning and evening. You can shout again, happy to help. Or someone else will dive in.

If you do want to split your drive, you can shrink (resize) F: and create new drive partitions using Partition Wizard

Note: If you mess with C and E and you will have to make new backup images. (Macrium insists on restoring to exactly the same size partition as it was created from)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room