We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

? How to - Create Image backup on Ext Drive, pls

AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi

I have, very recently, bought myself an External Drive, for backup. I'm able to copy files/docs across but I haven't a clue as to how to create an image backup of OS and installed programs etc.

Having just read the post re (Teamviewer) scams, I realise I'm now in a position to have this backup, and how vital it is!

So, please, in 'simple' language, could you explain.

I'm using Win XP but have Vista on my laptop - would like to do both machines.

Thanks very much

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This explains a lot but depending on which backup software you use you need to carefully read their help files. If you decide to buy Acronis then study how to use the software.

Wikipedia

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

robinofloxley Thanks. I've looked in Disc Management and there are only my two physical drives, C and E, - E being a second drive I put in a long time ago. I've taken a screen dump having been into Disc Management - so far is it in Paint, waiting for me to save it as something!!! If it would be of any value to see it, how do I get it viewable via a link in the thread?

As far as I am aware, there is no partitioning, in either the Master drive (c\:) or the second drive (E\:).

The new External Drive is still in the box, so no partitioning done there either!

E\: is just to keep some stuff separate from C\:, partly to leave space on C, partly in case the PC goes 'phut'!!! ;) Yes, rather basic, eh?

Like this post
robin_x

Likes # 0

c: and e: are your partitions. I think what you mean is you haven't divvied them up into further partitions.

You are allowed 4 (Primary) partitions per drive. You can have more but that is beyond the scope of my reply.

I suggest you unpack you new drive and have a play. Download one of the free 'backup' programs too.

Note: If you are lucky, your new drive will be formatted. If not, it takes several hours.

Like this post
robin_x

Likes # 0

Actually I strongly recommend Macrium

It's easier than Easeus and Paragon for a first timer.

When ready, and you are all set up with new drive plugged in, I'd be happy to walk you through it.

(maybe tomorrow?)

Use imageshack.com for your partition map and send the link.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi robinofloxley

Thanks

No, my drives are two separate ones, physically separate. I put the second drive in myself a long while ago, so I know it's physically a separate drive.

C drive has the OS and programs I've downloaded. C also has documents, as does E.

I could put all personal stuff from C to E. Presumably, then, C would be ok for one partition in the External drive, and have personal docs etc in the remaining partition in Ext Drive???

Like this post
robin_x

Likes # 0

C is a single partition on one drive. E is a single partition on your 2nd drive.

Your new ext drive will need a partition on it. It may already have one. It may have a manufacturers partition as well.

Plug it in and go into Disc Management again and take another screenshot and paste the imageshack link.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

"C is a single partition on one drive. E is a single partition on your 2nd drive"

Ooops, my apologies. I obviously didn't understand what you were saying. So, yes, each C and E are 'single partition'

I'll check out the Ext Drive as to whether it is already partitioned. Also, I'll have to check out Imageshack. I've heard of it but not used it so may take a litle while to suss it...

Cheers Thanks

Like this post
robin_x

Likes # 0

Open Paint, paste screenshot, Save As .jpg (not bmp or png).

Imageshack.com, upload jpg. Copy and paste the link.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Ooops! Seems none of that lot is any good! Apologies Will try again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to get a gold Apple Watch for £329: Save £7,500+ with this cool upgrade kit

IDG UK Sites

It's World Backup Day 2015! Don't wait another minute: back up now

IDG UK Sites

Don't Hug Me I'm Scared 4 is another disturbing sequel to Becky & Joe's YouTube hit

IDG UK Sites

History of Apple: how Apple came to lead the tech industry