We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

facebook quick questions about posting status updates to a select few members?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

I have tried to ignore the fact that facebook is littered with advertising and many television adverts are now creating facebook pages of their own-its self inflicted spam, and a privacy removal system :) I am trying to find out about its message sending system to other users, it seems very flawed-what if you only want to send your standard 'status update/thought of the day' message, to only your closest friends or family to read, almost every time? for the many that have 100s, or (in some cases) even 1000s of "friends", the system does not seem very private, although I have noticed you can now send a message from your main page by "adding" or "denying" users that are able to read it. I have a few questions for anyone that uses facebook on this:

1-If I send a normal message to a select few by adding their names to this add/deny list, do these people know that the message is more private than usual?

2-Can this message only be text, or can it include a link with a thumbnail to a specific page (eg youtube), as with normal messages?

3-There is also a 'hide this from' option when sending messages, so I am guessing that if I forget to add anyone to this private list, they will still see it on my main profile page, but not see it in the list of recent messages posted today?

4-With the above 'send to/hide this from' options, when sending these general messages, are you able to create and save a list, to be able to send messages to them all the time easily, or do you need to recreate it every time?

5-If you can save these lists,can you create seperate ones (eg one for family, another for friends)?

I imagine if you cant do alot of the above (or have to create special 'groups' and make your friends/family join them), then facebook to me will still always feel like a bit of a mess regarding privacy-thanks for any help

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...