We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Local only connectivity

eysha

Likes # 0

Hi, can anyone pelases tell me why i get more 'LOCAL ONLY' or 'LIMITED CONNECTIVITY' messages than 'CONNECTED' ones? I am using Virgin broadband with a Netgear box. This is happening more and more and i have no idea how to correct it. I do the usual stuff like switch off the box at the wall and wait then reconnect, or switch off and disconnect all the plugs and replug then re switch back on etc but it makes no difference at times. It is very frustrating and i have even changed my netgear channell too. I have even contacted Virgin without sucess. Happy to try anything really. Thanks E.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Here are some things you can try with increasing severity...

1) Go into network connections, find your wireless network connection icon, right-click it and disable it. Re-enable it and see if any improvement

2) as above, but reboot after disabling, and once your computer comes back on, re-enable.

3) Go into Device Manager, find your wireless network adapter, uninstall it, and reboot the computer. Your PC should detect it and hopefully automatically install it again.

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

Thanks, will try those and let you know. E

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

What i tried was this; 1)Control panel 2)network sharing centre 3)wireless network connection 4)view status 5)properties 6)found that IPv6 is limited connectivity so i unticked this one.

I am hoping that will solve the problem of the limited connectivity - what do you think? E.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Yes - you may not need IPv6

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

Thanks, will let you know how it goes. from your name i think we are close.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

More likely to be either your router or Virgins modem on way out I'm thinking it's about time I changed my Linksys router that is about 6 years old as I have been having to unplug to reset it more lately

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

"from your name i think we are close" - maybe !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015