We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Screen Freezes in XP

johnoo

Likes # 0

Looking for some help on this problem. I am using Internet Explorer with XP, on occasions when I go into Internet Explorer the screen, on occasions, freezes. Can't select anything other than my home page & can’t get out of the Home page. Only constant clicking on the “red cross” gets release, then get the “ Do you want to end session now ” box. This problem has only recently started, I use cc cleaner after every session. Hope I have explained enough for help to be given. Any ideas as to cause & how cure?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If it's a PC and getting on a bit, it may be the CPU heat-sink is choked with dust. This causes the CPU to overheat when working hard, and it stalls to protect itself. Whip the side cover off and have a look.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Try downloading Fire-Fox 3.62 its not the latest version look for British English assuming you live in the UK. From[Here]just to make sure its not IE playing up.1

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I use cc cleaner after every session.

I reckon that is a bit OTT and could even be partly the cause of your problem.

Like this post
johnoo

Likes # 0

Nortek, Why do you think it is OTT? Also why do you think it is partly causing the problem?

My problem on using Firefox is that it is a random problem only occuring once/twice a week. I have to admit I don't think it has happened on FF, so could be IE related.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I use a Reg cleaner (not Ccleaner) about once a week or even less, and I have no problems! I have used Ccleaner in the distant past, but found it to be a bit aggressive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more