We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help with Digital TV Switchover

rawprawn
Resolved

Likes # 0

We are in the throes of switching over to digital tv (started 7th finish 21st September) We have a Samsung Series 5 LED TV. Suddenly small square icons have appeared down the left hand side of the screen and half way across the bottom. They seem to be "Licenses" and show these icons LEDTV, Crystal TV, HDMI 2, Freeview, CI +1, SAOR View etc I cannot get rid of them although they all disappear when I change station but then return. I have been through the handbook and pressed about every button on the remote. Any ideas please digital TV is a whole new world to me. RP

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

At aguess these look like input or TV stations Saor is Ireland ithink you posibly have a display button or choice on the remote or in themain menu.Can you highlight and select any of these Items if so jus choose the freeview one.Also let us kn ow the tv model spmeone may have it or we can look it up for you

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Just found this on google From the tools menu you can select E-POP and switch it to off. That should take those icons off.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As the process has just started, I would think that they are testing various systems for your area to find the best cover.

I assume you have a fairly good reception and your TV recieves Freeview.

I would wait until the switchover is complete (21 September)and see what the end result is.

If you are in a poor reception area, you might need a booster box (about £10)

Terry

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Terry Brown and eedcam, the icons are not interactive at all, I think probably Terry Brown is correct and I will wait until the process is finished. We have very poor reception here and already have a booster, Thank you both for your input.

Like this post  
eedcam

Likes # 0

Are you saying this dont work From the tools menu you can select E-POP and switch it to off. That should take those icons off.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Reception issues: Dropouts/pixellating:

Our un-amplified aerial on our semi-D chimney feeds into the living room.

We live in a 'dip' and it requires two boosters.

SLx 2way (1 used) to feed the 4way which then runs from living room to bedrooms/dining room/conservatory.

After the 21st, your Transmitter powers will be set on maximum. If you still have problems, check your connectors and cables and behind wall plates for good connection. Take out any 'Y-splitters' if you have them (they halve the signal).

Check signal strength AND quality (SignalNoise SNR) in the menus of your equipment

Then consider an extra booster. Tesco also sell the 2 way (branded as Technika).

Note some channels transmit at lower power. BBC and ITV channels are the strongest.

A copy of Radio Times is useful since all the channel numbers are listed. Most listings don't print them.

Digital TV signals are transmitted in just the same way as analogue. But analogue problems just increase the 'snow' which you may not even notice. Digital receivers get to a point where the noise causes them to 'give up' and stop decoding. ie dropout.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

In my location of the country, the process of change-over started and is now apparently finished. During that change-over period we had to re-tune the equipment (done via remote) on two occasions. Depending on what station was being picked up, we still had on occasions various 're-tune' messages. On completion of the change-over, all now seems well, except that we have lost one distant regional channel that we once received!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks