We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Too good to be true ? Windows 7 registration key

CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

I have 2 PC's.

I have the PC I'm using now with the retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium on it and I also have another PC with Vista Basic Edition on it.

I happened to see this on play.com but I'm a little confused !

When you look at the price, you would think that only the Windows 7 activation key is provided but when you read the 2 customer reviews, it suggests that you get the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 Home Premium as well ?

Reader reviews:

"comes with 2 discs 32bit and 64bit"

"I have just had mine through the post today thanks to play delivering it via city post rather than the royal mail otherwise it would have been a long wait."

Very confusing this !

All I was going to do (I don't know if it's possible as it would seem to suggest that Microsoft will be losing money if they allowed this to happen) was to wipe the OEM version of Vista Basic Edition and upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium using the genuine activation key that would be purchased for £9.99

Is this possible as surely the Windows 7 Home Edition DVD that I used to install and activate Windows 7 on this PC is only going to accept the activation code on the orange sticker that came with the Windows packaging ?

I just wanted to know a bit more before buying it as although it's only a tenner I don't want to waste my money.

Any feedback please, cheers.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I'd say that was fine....Cheap? yes, but with Windows 8 just around the corner MS won't be worried about the price.

I think your money is safe, they are reputable, and its quite a bargain when you consider I payed £139 for exactly the same deal...(Win7 64 and 32 bit DVDs) from Dabs about a year ago!

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Hi, So the DVD's are included as well then ?

Unbelievable value if true !

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

p.s. I'm not going to bother with Windows 8 as Windows 7 will do me for now.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Looks to me from the same site that you only get the activation keys

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/5214/win7r.jpg

Like this post
sidecar sid

Likes # 0

Reading the feedback on the sellers profile suggests you are only going to receive the product key via email.Feedback

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Following on from that - if you want the disks it seems it will cost you a minimum of £112.99

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Right so that's settled then, I don't get the disks.

I already have the 32 and 64 bit DVD's of Windows 7 Home Premium that I bought a couple of years ago.

Can I not use one of these to install Windows 7 on the other PC and then use the activation key that I will have bought instead of the activation key that came with the Windows software (as that key is already in use on this PC) or are these DVD's only going to work with the activation key that originally came with the software ?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Software4students is a good source for an upgrade DVD from Vista to W7 - only £38.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

"Software4students is a good source for an upgrade DVD from Vista to W7 - only £38."

I'm not a student !

Would that key not work with the Windows 7 DVD's that I have already bought then ?

I mean installing on top of Windows Vista on the other PC ?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If you need to download a full version of windows 7 and have your own licence number, this is Microsofts offical online partner. Select your system and download the iso file.

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...