We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Read-only files

Truronian

Likes # 0

I have saved some Word and Excel files to CD but now that I want to delete them, I find that they are all shown as "Read-Only" and i am unable to remove them. I have tried the Help files without any joy. Any suggestions, please?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you have saved them to a CDR then you cannot delete them as the disks are Record once only. If you have saved them to a CDR/W which can be written to many times then you can delete them although you may have to untick Read only in the files Properties.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

All files on a CD-R (or DVD-R) are read only. Think about it, you have permanently burnt the files onto the CD (or DVD)

You will need to use a CD-RW (or DVD-RW) if you want to start erasing and re-burning.

Like this post
Truronian

Likes # 0

The CDs are marked Verbatim 12x CD-RW. When I click on Properties a box pops up showing a green blob in the "Read - only" box. if I uncheck that and click on Apply, I get a further message telling me "An erroe occurred applying Attributes to the file. Access is denied". What now, please?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You need to take ownership of the files click Here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...