We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Re-format an external hard drive.

DuggieMike

Likes # 0

I have a Maxtor "One Touch" external hard drive on my PC running Windows XP Professional. When I invoke the right click dropdown for this drive on My Computer and ask for a quick format this message eventually appears:

Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive Make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive then try formating again.

I appreciate the implications of formating a drive I use this drive for keeping my data files automatically incrementally backed up and for a ghosting of my total complete C drive, but there are errors on it and I wish to start again with a clean external Maxtor.

How do I reformat this external drive, please?

John

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Sounds like your backup software is using the drive.Stop the back up software via control alt delete then task manager look for it in the list of either applications or processes and stop it.Then try again

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

plug in your maxtor, go to start click run and type in diskmgmt.msc and it show all hte drives click on the want to reformat and start from there.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If you cannot format your drive using microsoft XP you may need to use the Maxtor software to do a complete 'low level' format.

You will need to run the file from a floppy drive or a thumb drive with a clean boot. ( select boot options on start up)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool.shtml

terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes