We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is my graphics card upgradable?

puma377

Likes # 0

I have an HP Media Centre 2002 version it has the following specifications Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, 32-bit (Service Pack 3) DirectX version: 9.0 GPU processor: GeForce 6200 LE Driver version: 280.26 DirectX support: 9.0c Core clock: 350 MHz Memory clock: 550 MHz (1100 MHz data rate) Memory interface: 64-bit Memory: 512 MB Memory type: DDR2Video BIOS version: 5.44.02.67.01 IRQ: 16 Bus: PCI Express x16 Can I upgrade graphics card so games run more smoothly, and if so any suggestions? Thanks

Like this post
letsgetrdy

Likes # 0

Yes, it is upgradable and any PCI Express graphics card will work. How much are you looking to spend? 8800GTs can be had for £30-40 now and would give you a HUGE boost in graphical power.

Like this post
puma377

Likes # 0

I'm hoping to spend less than £100 for a decent(ish) card. I need at least Recommended Specifications:

• MS Windows XP/Vista • DirectX 9.0c • Processor 3 GHz • RAM 2 Gb • Videocard nVidia GeForce 7950GT with 512 Mb or equivalent ATI • DirectX-compatible soundcard • DVD-ROM • 5,5 Gb free hard disk space • keyboard, mouse Will this work on my ancient system?

Like this post
letsgetrdy

Likes # 0

Yes that will work on your system.

Anything over £50 on a graphics card would most likely be unneeded and be just bottlenecked by things like your RAM/CPU.

I take it in your last post you need a graphics card that is atleast "Videocard nVidia GeForce 7950GT with 512 Mb or equivalent ATI" etc. The 8800GT is more than powerful enough.

Here is the alpha dog edition which at launch cost upwards of £180. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XFX-Nvidia-8800GT-Alpha-Dog-/290607306968?pt=UKComputingComputerComponentsGraphicsVideoTVCardsTW&hash=item43a98b98d8

Like this post
letsgetrdy

Likes # 0

Alternate link - http://tinyurl.com/42lwghf

Like this post
puma377

Likes # 0

Sorry I dont know what an Alpha Dog version is.
I was told by NVidia live chat that I need to change my power supply to at leat 600 watts, I dont know what wattage my computer uses or where to find the info about it.

Like this post
puma377

Likes # 0

I meant to say that do I need to change my power supply to accomodate the new graphics card? I didnt really understand whether the power supply i have is adequate or not. Do you know where I can find where it states the wattage, its not stated on the back of the pc there is a sticker with 230 v under the power cord but nothing about wattage. Thanks for your help.

Like this post
letsgetrdy

Likes # 0

The Watts rating should be on the power supply itself, on the outer casing of it. That "Alpha Dog" was just a phrase used for that 8800GT, which refers to it being slightly faster than a normal 8800GT. As there are loads of 8800GTs out there branded by different company's, so I just found one that looked good.

A 8800GT only requires 400w power supply.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/productgeforce8800gtus.html

Your current power supply will be around 300-400w. I would check to make sure its at least 400.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

How to Find Out How Many Watts a Power Supply is on an HP Computer click here

If you can let people know the exact model of your HP media centre ,how to find out HP model number click here

"MS Windows XP/Vista • DirectX 9.0c • Processor 3 GHz • RAM 2 Gb • Videocard nVidia GeForce 7950GT with 512 Mb or equivalent ATI"

This is only the minimum spec, to run game smoothly on reasonable resolution you'll need much better PC spec, to upgrade to any modern graphic card, there could be a possibility of extra dedicated power cable connection i.e. pci-express which I doubt your existing power supply would have.

To be honest, even you can upgrade the graphic card, your PC's processor could be the next hurdle,I'd suggest saving your money towards a new PC or a game console instead.

Like this post
puma377

Likes # 0

Thank you both for your help.
I know that really I need a new computer but one with a decent(ish) graphics card and sound card as this one has will cost around £1000 which I dont have as a student, so its basically just upgrading what can be upgraded until it finally gives up the ghost. We dont play the really graphic intensive games, but the lag is noticable on sims 3 or amored princess.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room