We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

atheros wireless recognised but not picking up any signal

rob.bailey1970@yahoo.co.uk

Likes # 0

My wifes Toshiba laptop (vista) suddenly stopped picking up the wireless signal on our router. I have checked and updated the atheros driver and it now says there are no problems and everything is working correctly. But still there is no signal being received. What can i do now?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Is the router still broadcasting its SSID?

Does the Laptop find any wireless networks in the area?

If both are Yes, try deleting the profile for your own network and go through the procedure to Connect again, when you'll be prompted for the encryption key and, once connected, a new profile will be saved.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Yeah the router is running fine, everything in the house finds it. and searches with other devices find neighbours signals etc...there is just no recognition of any transmission to laptop although the driver says there are no problems

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Is it ok wired?

Like this post

Likes # 0

It is fine wired, its a real head scratcher. If i click on "connect to" it shows no networks but the drivers are all installed and not reporting any faults....and the switch is flicked for wifi! Starting to think it may be a mechanical issue.....apart from the atheros driver should i be checking anything else?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

It could be a hardware fault. A possible issue with Laptops is that the wireless adapter is in the base, but the aerial can be around the screen. This means that the cable between the two can break with the continual opening/closing of the lid over a period of time. If you have access to a USB WiFi adapter, it might be worth giving that a try.

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Is the wireless adapter enabled in the provided Toshiba network software ( Config Free ) Is Configfree managing the adapter or is Vista ?

Ashley
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks