We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

deleting old updates ???

Shifa's Gran

Likes # 0

My laptop hard drive is almost full, despite keeping some stuff on the D Drive and an external hard drive - to free up space. I believe that all the updates over the 3 years I've had the laptop are clogging up the memory space. Could I safely delete some of the earlier (2007/8/9 and 2010) ones? They are labelled - but it's all Greek to me! If files are superceeded - the old ones just sit there, do they? Please advise. My programmes only take up about 3gb - yet I have used up 49gb !!!!! Would appreciate advice from someone who knows - thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What op system?

In XP if you look in the Windows folder there are Files in blue starting with $ these are old restore points for updates which can be deleted.

to get rid of junk on the drive use a program like CCleaner.

Reduce the amount of space used for restore points as seen here for Vista / W7

Like this post
letsgetrdy

Likes # 0

I wouldn't suggest deleting old updates.

What OS are you using?

Your system might be clogged up with old restore points, you can however remove some of the older ones.

If your using Vista (a guess based on the 3 year timeline you specified), goto cmd, type "vssadmin list shadowstorage" and report the information it gives back.

Like this post
Shifa's Gran

Likes # 0

Thanks for your advice - yes, am using VISTA - when I type in what you kindly suggested - the window flashed up and went off before I could get any info! Will have a go at deleting old restore points . thanks again.

Like this post
Shifa's Gran

Likes # 0

When I follow your instructions beginning with START and then CMD etc - I get a message which says :- "vsp1cln is not recognised as an internal or external command.operable programme or batch file" I will now try your other suggestion - and convey my thanks Regards Shifa's Gran

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...