We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Right anti-virus programme for old XP computer

Ellen G

Likes # 0

I've used Norton for a long time but it's slowing my old XPSP3 system down. Pages are slow to load etc. Read old reviews for MSE which are not good. I need a good programme that I can understand and won't drain the old system. Without the latest review on MSE, I'm not sure what to do.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

MSE would be less of a drain on resources than Norton.

You could also consider Avast or Avira as the antivirus, but if you do be sure to add anti spyware such as Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes or Spyware Terminator or Spybot S&D.

Like this post
griffon56

Likes # 0

I used AVG 11 on a 2003 HP Pavilion 2.6GHZ processor with 1.5GB memory running Win XP Service Pack 3 and it ran very well. I've now got a PackardBell iMedia D2525UK which does noticeably run and loadquicker but not so you'd be critical of the old HP. Like JohnDrew I recommend anti-malware stuff as well. AVG is free, a not insignificant benefit. In tests it never wins but does come second. I've seen reviews where it beat Norton but not the most recent Norton which came with the iMedia as part of a gift. AVG does not hog resources like processor and memory, it's pretty well fit and forget. I like it, but you've guessed already!

I have noticed that Spybot is getting very slow at scanning the system perhaps because of the huge number of threats it is checking out.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've had no problems since using MSE and much prefer it to some of the other freebies.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

For XP

you need a third party firewall such as Zonealarm

Antivirus Avast is good as uses few resources

WIndows defender as a real time scanner Backed up with Free Malwarebytes and / or Free Superantispyware

and SpywareBlaster as a Blocker

Have run this combination for years with no problems

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...