We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Possible Trojan Virus Problem

Appletree

Likes # 0

I have an old PC running Windows XP Pro since 2003, but up to date with Microsoft update 24 August. It also has McAfee Total Protection updated on 7 Sept and full scan run with no issues found. Problem. At start up the Microsoft Windows XP screen with running dots appears as normal but this then goes to a blank screen and nothing further happens. Master reset pressed and only way any operation can be achived is in Safe Mode. Looking back it appears as though the PC has a progressive trojan virus. First sign of problem was early July when Windows had almost loaded the desktop it would switch to low screen resolution, this was corrected in Control Panel and monitor appearance, but at start up again same problem occured. I then did a system restore back to 1 July point and all ok. The problem returned on 1 Aug, so restored problem to 25 July point, then ok. Problem occured again on 14 Aug, so restored to 4 Aug point, then ok, but noticed that there were no system restore points earlier than 4 Aug. On 3 Sept Windows wouldn't load, it stopped after initial screen (as described above), so went to safe mode and restored to 27 Aug point, then ok. Same again on 6 Sept, then on 7 Sept same problem but after going to safe mode found that all system restore points had been deleted. So now the PC will only work in safe mode and this morning 8 Sept connection to the internet has additionally been lost. Please, how do I overcome this problem?

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Have you tried any malware scans to identify possible trojan? If you have Ccleaner you could try running in safe mode and restarting computer.

Like this post
Appletree

Likes # 0

To Snrub, Thanks for suggestion, no I haven't run any malware scans and I don't have Ccleaner, where can I get Ccleaner from?

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

If you can connect to internet Cnet.com will have Ccleaner Free and you could also try downloading Iobit MalwareFighter Free to run malware scan.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Try a2free http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/ This is a free 30 day trial (ful version) and then reverts to the free version, which is scan on demand (no contineous scanning).

I believe this can be run from a CD, so download the file and create the CD, then reboot from CD.

Terry

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sounds more like a failing system. CCleaner will not clear malware. Malwarebytes in safe mode is well worthwhile Malwarebytes making sure it is the free version.

How are you posting? Download to that and then onto memory stick or cd if possible.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Woolwell - Not suggesting Ccleaner will remove malware, this was meant to be in addition to, in order to remove temporary internet files. Maybe not entirely logical but recovered my system from continuous occuring system BSOD when run in safe mode.

Like this post
Appletree

Likes # 0

To Snrub & Terry Brown. Thanks for suggestions. I downloaded the free trial version of Emsisoft Anti Malware on one PC and transferred it via a CD to problem PC then ran it, this took 12 hours hence I've not been back to you earlier. It found 4 suspect objects, these were 2 traces at medium risk, 1 file at low risk and 1 file at high risk, the latter was the exec of a games program I had loaded about 6 years ago, so unless this had been affected by a trojan I don't think it to be the cause. The problem PC now still has the same symptons, blank screen after start up Microoft screen, but suppose this is to be expected as the trojan had deleted all system restore points, so will only operate in safe mode. I guess I've got to reload Windows XP now?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'