We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell desktop start up problem

heepster

Likes # 0

I have a dell desktop which on startup I get a constant beep and lights 1 and 3 stay illuminated, and then shuts down.Any help would be much appreciated.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You will need to take a note of the beeps because they will mean something.They will be a mixture of short or long, to give you an idea:PC beeps Soon as you know what the beeps sound like post back,I wouldn't worry about the lights for now.

Like this post
heepster

Likes # 0

Thanks I get 6 short beeps and the 1 and 3 lights stay on.Dell dimension 5100 running xp sp3

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Try another keyboard, or make sure it is plugged in correctly. These lights where are they and do they have any symbols next to them. But I suspect 1 is the power light another is hard-drive activity, no idea on the third.

I'll try and find the manual for your PC and get back to you if anything comes to mind.

Like this post
heepster

Likes # 0

The lights are numbered 1 and 3 no symbols.Tried a new keyboard and reseating memory modules and graphics card. Running out of ideas now.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

OK found your manual and the lights you mention are diagnostic lights, and seemingly 1 and 3 are indicating memory problems so you have a couple of choices.

Boot with only 1 stick of RAM in, see what happens then try the other stick.

Test your RAM using Memtest this really needs to run as long as possible to give an accurate reading.

Or buy new RAM and hope that solves the problem but bear in mind it also maybe a motherboard problem.

Like this post
heepster

Likes # 0

Ok removed the suspect memory module and now no beeps or error lights. However now when I get to the windows start up it seems that it skips the part where the bar travels across to load up. Then nothing. The monitor shows nothing after that.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You are being very scant with your information. How did you figure out that a stick of RAM was faulty? Can you get into safe mode? Are you getting any beeps?

Like this post
heepster

Likes # 0

Removed ram one by one and one particular stick causes the beeps.Left it out. Now no beeps, but no display either.I am starting to think maybe the monitor could be at fault.will try my mates tomorrow and see what happens.Thanks so much for your patience.Much appreciated.

Like this post
heepster

Likes # 0

Ok Tried a friends monitor, and all is fine.So I guess the memory module and monitor failure happened at the same time. Thanks for your help...

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Glad its sorted,its bad enough trying to figure out what the problem is when 1 component fails, but its really a pain when 2 do.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014: A reflection

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?