We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 PC displaying boxes and symbols instead of English?

mackay64

Likes # 0

The title said it all. Turned on the computer this morning, and instead of showing normal english, it was boxes and symbols. Certain features work fine, but login names, passwords and dialog boxes all display as boxes and symbols. System restore didn't do the trick, how do I fix it?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Check in Control Panel - Region & Language - under Format Tab - make sure English (United Kingdom) is selected - then Under Location Tab United Kingdom

Like this post
mackay64

Likes # 0

First thing I did, so it's not that :( Wish it was.

Like this post
letsgetrdy

Likes # 0

Did you make any changes that may have brought this upon? Any updates etc?

If restore didn't work, then it isn't a conflict in the registry.

I would try a SFC scan to ensure all system files have the default integrity.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Like this post
mackay64

Likes # 0

Yeah I made a Windows Update, that's the only change. Just did an SFC scan, but it said there was no problem there.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If not already installed I suggest you download ad run Malwarebytes from here enter link description here

Like this post
letsgetrdy

Likes # 0

What updates were installed before the problem?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014