We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Adware-OpenCandy.dll

Snrub
Resolved

Likes # 0

McAfee has found Adware-OpenCandy.dll on my computer. Does anyone know of and used a removal tool for this infection.

Like this post
drapps

Likes # 0

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

drapps - can't see any response, can you repeat plse?

Like this post
drapps

Likes # 0

Snrub,

Err, sorry about that last "response"! I don't know what happened there. Lol. :)

Anyway...

Quick overview of OC:

OpenCandy is a moderated software network that enables developers to recommend (i.e. advertise) another piece of software during their application's installation using our installer plug-in. Developers earn money when someone chooses to install a recommendation and use the proceeds to offset ongoing development (and support) -- and, in many cases, to keep their software free!

The installer plug-in is automatically removed after the install and recommendation process is finished (since it has no functionality outside of the installer it was integrated with). So unless something odd happened (power went out during install, etc) that caused it to not be automatically removed -- then McAfee is detecting (as low-risk/level adware) a downloaded installer on your system that has OC integrated in it. Information on resolving the issue is here: http://www.opencandy.com/faqs/adware-faqs/. (Basically, if it's being detected in a downloaded installer, look for the path of the file so you can delete the installer if you're uncomfortable with OC.)

If you have any questions at all, I'll be happy to help*.

Be well! :)

Doc "Dr." Apps

Software Community Guru for OpenCandy

twitter.com/drapps

*I'm on my way out the door to the doctor because of abdominal pain... I don't know how quickly I'll be able to respond... just hoping it's NOT appendix!

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Doc "Dr." Apps I ran an update for Firefox 6.02 fron Cnet.com and suffered a BSOD crash during this process for an unkown reason which according to your information prevented the removal of Adware-OpenCandy.dll I do not see why your site does not provide a removal tool other than it is not in the sites interest to do so. Although, I think your site should.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

A re-run of McAfee after a previous run and quarantine has confirmed McAffee has now removed this spyware. For PCA reference other spyware software such as SAS, Malwarebytes and Iobit did not find Adware-OpenCandy.dll on my computer.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous