We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard drive failure or virus? Unable to boot up computer

Armchair
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was online earlier, when a warning message from (I assumed) Microsoft Security Essentials popped up, something about a threat being detected, I clicked on it, and about a minute later my PC switched itself off. I haven't been able to get back on again. It gets to the screen listing all the hard drives, CD-ROM drives etc., and won't go any further.

I've had to remove the hard drive, and install my old slow one. I'm updating everything on it now (but I haven't been able to get a download for XP service pack 3, just the multiple computer one. Does that matter if I install it on one PC?). All the other components are working alright.

If it is a virus, any idea how to get the hard drive working again?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I suggest you make a bootable disk with anti virus and anti malware on then run from that.see here

Then possibly do a XP repair from the XP CD

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode? In safe mode you could run a full scan with MSE which should find and deal with any nasties.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Regarding the SP3, I had problems with other SP3 downloads till I tried it a few years back. It was fine for me. I was just a 'network of one'. Went in without fuss.

Compaq SR1619UK Tower Athlon 3200+ 512MB at the time.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

1) I made a Kaspersky rescue disc, changed the boot preference to CD-ROM in BIOS, and it looked like it was working but only resulted in a load of lines and dots on the screen. I'll have a look at your suggestion tomorrow, Fruit Bat. I'm exhausted now! Been on about five hours with this tonight.

2) I can't get into to safe mode. The boot up sequence doesn't get far enough.

3) Thanks, Robin. I've downloaded the multi-PC one, and I'll install that tomorrow.

If worst comes to the worst, and I can't get it to work again, I might just buy another hard drive. Not many IDE ones about, but I don't fancy making do with this old 5400 RPM, 1MB one.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

My 6yr old desktop is still in use albeit with an extra 2GB memory and W7 these days.

I bought an IDE/SATA converter (which worked fine) when I put an extra HDD in.

Also noticed while I was buggering around that the motherboard had two SATA headers on it anyway. Doh.

I used one of the Iomax converters. Cheap and cheerful. I think it came with the necessary adapter cables.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nbsbssi0_10?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=wd+tv+live&sprefix=wd+tv+live

Have fun tomorrow.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Like this post
PSF

Likes # 0

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

I booted up from the BitDefender rescue disc, and ran the (up to date) anti-virus built into it. It found and disenfected three items, one of which was the kazy virus. I removed the rescue disc, re-set BIOS to boot from the hard drive, but it still doesn't work. Same as before, gets to the screen listing hard drives etc., and that's it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Disconnect our drives one at a time and see if it will boot or go to an error message.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

Update:- No further forward. I cannot boot from, or gain access to, the hard drive. As I said, the Bitdefender rescue disc scanned and removed the virus/trojans that are PROBABLY the cause, but the hard drive still won't work.

If it is the kazy virus to blame, maybe I need another way to get rid of it. There is supposed to be a removal tool available, but I don't know how to actually get it to the hard drive.

Btw, is there any way I can just format the hard drive? I wouldn't mind wiping it and starting from scratch. Unfortunately, whatever the Administrator Password was is long gone, so I haven't been able to use the Windows XP product recovery CD-ROM.

I actually comtemplated buying a new desktop PC earlier on, but I've decided to stick with this one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement