We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Use of cloning software

cryptogram

Likes # 0

Two questions. (1) How is it that cloning will copy the operating system (amongst other things) and allow it to be installed onto another computer, possibly infringing the licence, and (2) if you want to access just one file from a cloned copy is that easy? I currently use Second Copy as a back up and the files it stores are accessible as easily as any other file.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Cloning of operating systems across systems only works if the PC`s are built using identical parts like OEM brand same name models

If you have the Acronis true image utility, then you are able to mount the created backup image as a drive and from that have access to all your data

Cheers HC

Like this post
letsgetrdy

Likes # 0

"if you want to access just one file from a cloned copy is that easy?"

If you use Acronis, then it is always running as a service on your computer, you can then browse your backups (They appear as virtual drive type things) and access all folders, files,... pictures etc... by just opening them, the same as in normal Windows.

Like this post
cryptogram

Likes # 0

Thanks. I have Acronis v8, which does not appear to be running as a service on the machine. I need to start it to use it. Then, when I try to get a file it seems to only offer me the option of restoring the whole partition. I don't necessarily want that. I just want piecemeal access - like I get with Second Copy.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Version 8 is quite old, what OS are you using?

Like this post
cryptogram

Likes # 0

XP Pro

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

As gengiscant says, your Acronis is quite old in computer terms, but in case you have missed a cue - (I am using v.10)

Open Acronis so that it shows the Pick a Task window.

Look at the top right side and look at Recovery.

If it says Recover the entire Hard Disk Contents or restore individual files..... then you are in business. .....if not then you'll have to think again.

Like this post
cryptogram

Likes # 0

Looks like I'll have to think again! But thanks.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

If you can convert Acronis 8 files to .vhd, you could mount (Attach) them in Windows Disk Management.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Or use Easeus Todo Backup which does exactly what you want, plus its free.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

cryptogram. I find it easier to use ATI for a clone or image to restore system files if needed. For data - my "My Documents" folder is on a seperate partition- I find it far easier to use a "Mirror image" regular back up using either Freefilesynch or SynchToy - both free. You can set them to , for example,ensure that the right hand folder (eg D:\My Documents) is duplicated in , say G:\Mydocuments where D is a data partition and G is a second internal or external HD. I have moved all Word, Photo, Music, Spreadsheets and Outlook to My Documents and make frequent mirror images which is far quicker than Acronis as it only alters files changed sice the last backup.NB omly useful for data, not Programme files

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback