We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

if you have norton security 2011

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

open programme

click support

select new version check

and it will update to new version 2012 free untill your original licence expires

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

That sounds OK I have just installed NIS 2011 on three PC's. Are you aware of the benefits of 2012?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

compumac

I update 2011 to 2012n both xp and w7 to install process is a lot better/quicker.

as for running scans etc not seen anything really other than different grahics slightly. I expect its all under the bonnet stuff like better scanning engine and or better protection.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Sunnystaines Will do an Acronis image and then upgrade to NIS 2012, but probably in the morning. Thanks for info.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'm still not convinced about the value of expensive and (sometimes) bloated software, that seems to do little more than the freeware options. I've sorted innumerable computers that have picked up viruses despite the cost of the protection.

Rant over!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

a good point for most software, but when it comes to security I want what i feel is one of the better products with good support.

on your home would you put a free cheap lock on the front door which opens and locks ok but has poor deterence to a burglar or pay for a 5 lever mortice lock making it more difficult for the burglar.

that's my view and why i chose a pay for security, we are all free to choose and voice our opinions.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Did my three last night, each one took less than a minute to download and install. Certainly not bloated, and very cheap nowadays (3 PC's covered) I agree with sunnystaines, well worth paying for.

Like this post
griffon56

Likes # 0

Hi sunnystaines, you're implying all the free stuff is rubbish but some of them have consistently beaten Norton in the past (AVG, Avast) tho' today's Norton is better than their old resource hogging, intrusive stuff of a few years ago. That's not just me saying that, that's PC Advisor, more than once. I'm currently using Norton 2011 and for the next year, as the result of a gift, but when the licence expires I will probably switch to a freeby.

Inidentally, for many years I have used AVG plus Zone Alarm firewall and a number of anti-malware progs, all free to use domestically, and I have never had a virus or one single piece of nasty malware. The free progs must be doing something right.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Many thanks sunnystaines, much appreciated RP

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer