We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Chkdsk Problems

RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Win Xp x64 is the o/s and Samsung F1 Spinpoint is the harddrive.

I'm writing this on my blackberry so bare with me.

Anyway Xp reported to me that some files where corrupted and suggested that I use the chkdsk command this I did it told me the volume was 'dirty' and I left it for some hours to fix nothing happened from stage 4.

I carried out a Repair install which accepted it fine imo the file transfer rate was slow. Yet up on restart up came the chkdsk tool again!! How do I get rid of the chkdsk prompt?

Another theory I have is image the said drive to back it up to re-install then grab my data via the image.

What am I options please?

Cheers Rob

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

or if the volume dirty bit is set, eachtime Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-write operation on that particular drive.

First click Start> Run> and bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and then type "fsutil dirty query d:" but without the quotes. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Thanks fb.

Its undertaking the chkdsk at the moment since this morning could I access the command promt from the recovery console via xp setup?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Roger that!

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

I went into recovery console via xp setup and typed this comamand

CHKNTFS /X D and it didn't like it?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

CHKNTFS /X D:

that will not work from recovery console

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

One is saying. "The command is not recognized" or "The parameter is not valid"

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

So what do I need to do?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Did you put the colan : after D?

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

I did yes

I had another xp disk lying around and doing the chkdsk/r at recovery console seems to be functioning like it seems?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...