We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to install Wireless Epson SX425W Printer on Samsung N130 netbook

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good morning to you all, I made a post yesterday about advice on an Epson wireless printer for my sisters Samsung N130 netbook, and she's decided to purcahse the Epson Stylus SX425 wireless printer via amazon. She ordered it yesterday and its coming today before 1pm...this is the printer here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Stylus-SX425W-Multifunction-printing/dp/B003L3ZY9A/ref=cmcrprproducttop

I'm gonna go down there later on to help her set it up, but I have a few questions please. Firstly what is the easiest way to install it for her please, as we cannot use the cd as her netbook has NO optical drive. Her system is a windows XP 32 BIT SYSTEM, system with 1gb RAM and hard drive is about 160GB.

I've found the links for it on the Epson website here:

http://www.epson.co.uk/Store/Printers-and-All-in-Ones/Epson-Stylus-SX425W/Drivers-Support?supportLandingPage=true#

Do we just swith on the printer first and then download the the first driver from the Epson website which is for 3.45mbs, and then download ALL the other drivers or do we just need the first one ONLY pls??

If we can kidly get STEP by STEP guide to doing it correctly from anyone please that would be so much appreciated. many thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I'd suggest that, using a PC with CD drive, you copy the files from the Epson Printer CD to a USB flash drive which can then be used with the Netbook. Follow the instructions that come with the printer exactly, except that you install from the flash drive instead of the CD.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

many mgmcc, but apart from that, is there any other way to do it pls?? what about the epson website link that ive shown??

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Normally, the software is installed and, when it's run, at some stage you'll be asked to connect the printer. So, I'd suggest dowwnload the software (the one you mention looks like the best starting point) with the printer off and not connected - run it and follow instructions. If it doesn't work, it's easy enough to uninstall and try the suggestion from mgmcc

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Do we just swith on the printer first and then download the the first driver from the Epson website which is for 3.45mbs, and then download ALL the other drivers or do we just need the first one ONLY pls??"

Firstly Julius, don't connect the printer until the setup program tells you to do so.

I've just tried your link on a test XP PC so all you need to do is to download and run the Epson network software & driver package {v.1.2:} 16-Nov-2010, 3.45MBs that's listed at the top of the Epson page. Once that installer starts running, it should download all the other necessary components such as the scanner driver and printer driver etc.

During the installation process it's likely you'll get a warning saying the software hasn't passed the Windows logo test. Don't be concerned by that and click the "Continue Anyway" button.

For obvious reasons, I couldn't complete the Epson setup but you'll hopefully find it a straightforward and easy process.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Thanks so much secret-squirrel, i'm going to my sisters in the afternoon, once it is done, i'll let everyone know, thank you all for the advice, i'm keeping my fingers crossed, that it'll be ok, lol

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good evening to u all. Many thanks for all the help advice with the wireless Epson printer SX425W that my sister purchased from amazon uk today. Nway the set up was perfect with no problems, and prints with wires fine, BUT the only problem is this.....i tried to set it up to print wirelessly, but with NO joy!!!! When we press the set up button on the wireless printer, it detects the netbook and asks for the code, and we itnput it correctly, then when we go to print nothing happens. Im back hone now anyway, so any advice that i get i'd have to ring my sister as i wont see her again for another week. What i'm abit confused about is should the netbook be looking for the netbook wireless....OR the router wirelessly??? We donwloaded all the drivers from the Epson website, just like secret-squirrel told us to do, and there were no problems there whatsoever(many thanks)......so i'm a bit confused as to WHY it wont print wilessly. The wi-fi light for the printer is on, and and when it asked for the code we inputted that correctly. The instruction manual that came with it is not great, and the instrucions for XP users is kind of sketchy also, but I followed it as best I could. If someone can drop me a few lines that would be much appreciated. thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'The wi-fi light for the printer is on, and and when it asked for the code we inputted that correctly'

Is the code the WPA one for the router? Problems such as you describe are usually a wrong code.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback Julius - sorry to hear about the wireless problem though :(

I haven't got any hands-on experience with wireless Epson printers so I'm not able to give step-by-step instructions. Here are some tips though:

1) Here's where you can get the online manuals - click HERE

2) I suggest you try the wireless setup again by following the instructions HERE. Note that you'll need to temporarily connect the netbook to the printer with a USB cable as that's how you communicate the wireless settings to the printer. During the setup you'll need to indicate which wireless network is yours and its appropriate wireless passphrase (AKA password) so make sure you know what these are. When you've told the netbook to print wirelessly, unplug the USB cable and see what happens.

3) If all else fails, get in touch with Epson UK support - you'll find details and a phone number HERE.

"What i'm abit confused about is should the netbook be looking for the netbook wireless....OR the router wirelessly???"

AFAIK, the printer is configured to connect to your router and the netbook is configured to connect to the printer via a wireless network connection.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK