We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

bt home hub set up

sopwith

Likes # 0

i may be asking a stupid question here but here we go ive recently changed from orange b/b to bt via home hub 3 wireless the problem im having is that the connewction only appears ro work via an internet gateway is this correct or should it just connect via wireless its ages since i had to set up new broad band cos i stuck with orange for years very foolishly it appears

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

My homehub connected fairly painlessly just like any other router.

I think it may be acting as a gateway though, as when I connected my wife's new smartphone last week I noticed it was "searching for gateway" just before it found the network.

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

I don't know if I have missed the point here, but are you trying to connect a Mobile Phone or a computer? if it is a computer have you used the supplied CD? I had no problem with either.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

I stuck with orange for years very foolishly it appears

Not at all, I was with Orange for years. About three years ago I switched to BT. Biggest mistake I ever made. Within six months I had paid off the contract and was back with Orange. Not had a drop out since. Happened all the time with BT. It's a personal thing, but I will never go near them again.

Like this post
sopwith

Likes # 0

imtrying to connect to my pc

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

You should have a CD supplied with your BT Home hub, if you use that on your PC it should set it all up for you, failing that go to the BT helpline.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

sopwith, an "Internet gateway" is just another name for a modem or ADSL router. Your PCs and laptops connect to your HomeHub via a cable or wireless if they're within range of its signal. So, what's your query exactly?

PS: BT HomeHubs come pre-configured so there's no setting up required. Because of that, you don't actually need to run the CD.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Does your PC have a wireless card?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I too recently upgraded my BT HomeHub 2 to BT Infinity, improved my speeds from 2Mbps to 37.6 Mbps, working great.

The engineer fitted and set-up the Modem (did not have one of those with HomeHub2), and BT HomeHub3 and got it all working fine within minutes.

You do not have to do any set-up yourself, so if you are having problems contact BT.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Nontec - no mention of Infinity. If changing ISP, BT charge a min of £95 to send an engineer to set up a Homehub - shocking amount of money for a 5min job.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 - good point, I thought the upgrade was to Infinity. In any case, the HomeHub is so simple to install - it is just simply Plug and Play!! No complicated settings involved, even the CD provided is not needed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......