We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

dvd verification-ive lost many discs as a result..

theDarkness

Likes # 0

Ive lost many discs over the years as a result of the odd failed verification test after burning- as today, for the first time, ive noticed that upon trying a verification on a disc for the second time (that failed the test the first time), that it may well pass the test on another try. I used to always throw discs away if it failed the first time :( ! What a waste of discs. To anyone that knows their media-im now assuming that even if a disc fails many times on verification (not that it would!), but if it can at least pass the test once, then thats a good burn, as the pc has been able to match its content with what I have on the hd? If that is true and if any discs ever fail again, then Ill be trying it at least 3 times before throwing a (supposed) badly burnt disc away :(

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Perhaps I'm lucky but I have not had a verification failure since I went over to branded media.

However, to answer your question, If I had a failure in the past, I simply read the disk in a 'read only' drive. If this worked I considered the disk 'useable'.

It must be worth my saying that I also used only branded media that passed verification for any important data that was not to be kept on a HDD in some form. I treat all disks as potential 'failures' in one way or the other and for irreplaceable data, photos, home videos and such I make two verified copies which are kept in separate locations; one of these I treat as a 'master' and never use.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I bought the discs from ebay, although not the best option to make sure what you get is a good reliable brand, they were at least cheaper than the stores here, a pack of 100 dvd+r. JVC brand, gold dvd+r were recommended, and are identical to these discs showing on amazon right now (couldnt find on ebay).. click here.

Ive only burnt 3 of them so far, at a speed of 6x, and it was only the third that had the failed verification, passing on the second attempt. I also copied the discs content to the hd afterwards to test, and all files copied successfully, so Ill assume it may have been a good burn after all. Im not sure how many factors come into consideration with burning/verification, but Ill assume it may have just been a bad read from my actual dvd drive whilst verifying. Im not sure whether this drive prefers -r or +r dvds, but heres hoping the failure rate is not too bad. Its a cheap laptop, but although the dvd burner was replaced, it may not be the best itself (not sure what model of drive). Due to the nature of dvds and compatibility between burners, its hard to work out what should be considered a standard regarding success rate. Ill be hoping 9 out of 10 discs burn successfully, although 6 out of 10 will probably be more likely. I will try and keep note of any truly unsuccessful burns. Thanks

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

I burn on average 2 discs every week and cant remember over the last few years the last failure I never verify but always use verbatimI always physically check the disc visually before using as even the tiniest smudge can screw it and though it will seem to burn ok might fail on playback

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

If you dont verify or at least try and copy a discs entire content back to the hard drive after a burn, then you would have to read every file that was burnt to know its been successful in some other way. Its alot easier to realise that you have a successful burn when talking about burning a video dvd backup (you simply watch it) rather than a dvd of various media only for pc use (eg hundreds of photographs/mp3s etc on one disc). Even if your disc is burnt successfully to 100% with a 'finished burning' or 'ok' message, that in itself is not an indication that all files now on it are identical to whats on your hard drive.

This is the first time Ive used JVC discs, they are sometimes supposedly manufactured by taiyo yuden which are forever overly praised about on various media forums in lastability and success rate, although I dont know if that is true or not. I have also always used verbatim, but Ive heard that they have changed manufacturer of their discs in the past to other countries, which has supposedly led to lower quality discs being sold under the verbatim brand name. You can find out who really manufactures your blank discs by using DVD Identifier (I think someone recommended it on pc advisor before): click here for DVD Identifier

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Appreciate there is a difference twixt purely DATA and video inasmuch as you wont know till you have used it but my point is still my hundreds of discs fault free should equally apply to dataAs for manufacturer Verbatim are by Mitsibushi

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

quality can seemingly vary greatly even under the same brand name, for example check out http://club.myce.com/f33/verbatim-mbi-01rg40-worst-dvd-220847/

Ive just checked some of my verbatim 4.7 GB written dvd discs, and according to DVD Identifier:

for verbatim dvd+r the id shows as "MCC 004" (possibly mitsubishi india or taiwan depending on spindle size).

for verbatim dvd-r the id is "TYG03" (taiyo yuden co ltd) on my older discs.

for verbatim dvd-r the id is "MCC 03RG20" (mitsubishi taiwan) on my most recent purchase.

I usually buy packs of 25. I think the older taiyo yuden manufactured discs may be hard to get hold of if mitsubishi has switched to manufacturing more cheaply now, cheaper materials equalling discs sometimes of a lower quality or lastability. Its not the brand or location determining the quality of a disc, its those manufacturing it, and can differ alot within the same brand according to the website above. I have noticed that many users may be entering "MCC004 quality" or similar into google in order to determine quality, but like yourself, Im glad that I havent come across any mitsubishi discs that have burnt poorly to date :) I dont think it will matter too much as long as you dont plan on burning vital data onto disc (if so.. then burn more than one copy, and/or keep another copy on an external hd to store away). That website in my link does seem to be very picky on what is good and what is not, but may be useful to some-im just wondering how much longer we will be backing up data onto discs. Blu ray sounds like too much of an effort, and I wouldnt be too happy in waiting 45 minutes to burn onto blu ray, just to find out it fails on verification now and then, lol :( thanks for the replies-I think I will stick to burning at the slowest disc speed for now with my dvds, and on any future failed verification, definately try to verify more than once :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback