We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Remote storage

geesh2004

Likes # 0

Hi, I run a small business from home, the office however is not attached to the house and I am worried that in the event of a burglary or fire, all my data which is currently stored on a USB HDD in the office, will be lost. The business phone lines, including broadband come directly into the office. I want to set up a 2Tb storage facility in the house which can serve both business and domestic needs. What will be the most cost effective way of doing this? Regards, Keith.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I'm not clear why you're storing all of your data in an external USB drive rather than in the PC itself. If you were to do that, you could use an imaging program (such as "Acronis True Image") to create a daily backup of the PC's entire hard drive in the external USB drive. The USB drive could then be physically moved into the house so that you have the data in both locations.

Like this post
geesh2004

Likes # 0

Hi mgmcc, it is an external USB drive, but I'm often away and would not necessarily remove the the drive to the house. What I would like is a wireless system so that I could run automatic backups for the office, whilst using it for music etc in the house. BR, Keith

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you have a PC in the house which can wirelessly access a router in the office, you could run a synchronisation program in order to have a copy of the work data in the house. I use Allway Sync to keep data in multiple computers sync'd.

Like this post
geesh2004

Likes # 0

Thanks mgmcc, but I need a lot of storage and don't want office stuff on the home PC.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

OK, I don't know the answer. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can suggest a solution.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Have a look at this to see if it's what you want,

LaCie 2TB Wireless Space NAS Ethernet / USB 2.0

Click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad