We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

old memory reused

pulteny

Likes # 0

Hi all,what happened to the win98/2000.xp section since I was last here?

I got a gateway 1998 working computer and took hte memory dimm out and put it in my 2000 gateway computer running win 98se .One slot was empty so I inserted it in slot j7j1.The memory is pc 100 322 620 64mb.That was big in them old days. Bid a Belarc check and was told that the slot was empty,The other slots each contain 128mb. Does win98se have a limit on memory usage or can any out there come up with some possible answer??

Regards pulteny.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Windows 98SE can handle up to 2Gb of RAM.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What memory does windows say its using?

on old boards, memory often had to be in matched pairs

Like this post
pulteny

Likes # 0

Hi FruitBat, This compuer came with 128Mb installed in one slot.I added another not matched a ps100 from Crucial.I saw when the dimm was fitted and ran a Belarc scan that slot j7j1 is empty.I don't know how to use windows to find installed memory.The thing used to for years do a count up of memory but now shows the Gateway logo.This is not a problem just odd I think.The dimm has been removed but am willing to try again with new sujestions.

Regards pulteny.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Right click My computer -select properties - general tab will show op system cpu and ram

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'