We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

new laptop noise question

charlton200

Likes # 0

I have had my first ever laptop for a week now, and I have got a irritating noise that I'm not sure should be there or shouldn't. I don't think anything is wrong, it just irritates me. The noise is in the area where the left click button is and is a sound like a very fine piece of metal label flicking. It's not a loud sound but noticeable and does it ever few seconds. Does this happen on other laptops or it it something I should ring up about please?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Without listening to the sound it is difficult to comment. Is it the fan? But I don't think that it should be happening.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sounds more like the sort of sound an aging hard drive makes (which, being new, shouldn't happen). New laptop are generally pretty quiet apart from the fan kicking in from time to time. If concerned, might be as well to take it back.

Like this post
charlton200

Likes # 0

Thanks

It's not the fan and nothing to do with the fan. It is not the general running noise. It is like a coke tin pull ring ( the thin metal) being gentle pulled over another piece of metal causing a low clicking sound.

Like this post
charlton200

Likes # 0

Thanks

It's not the fan and nothing to do with the fan. It is not the general running noise. It is like a coke tin pull ring ( the thin metal) being gentle pulled over another piece of metal causing a low clicking sound.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

I have experienced a similar noise problem on new Acer mini desktop and sounded like the hard drive scraping periodically, with use over a several months it is now silent. Was worst starting from a cold ambient temperature and lessened when the computer warmed up.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Agree with onthelimit1 about hard drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks