We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Registry cleaners?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

A couple of weeks ago - I think - I asked about these and the consensus seemed to be that WinASO was worth it, even though it only 'repaired' 10 errors at a time. I have been using it to clean up, defrag my registry and do one or two other things as well. Cleaning up my hard drive I found 'RegClean Pro' on my computer, the download date is 11th August this year but I have no recollection of doing so. Anyway I let it run and it 'found' 129 errors in my registry!! But to 'clean', 'repair' or whatever else this programme does you have to buy it, I think £19.95, or thereabouts. I declined and ran 'WinASO' and it found 2! YES 2!! This has thoroughly confused/worried me and I would like to know if readers of this forum have any ideas/comments/advice on which is the better/more reliable/trustworthy of these programmes and why. I find it gobsmackingly worrying that there could be such a disparity in their answers. when I ran WinASO I expected to find anywhere between 60 and 100 errors BUT TWO! It really beggars belief, and any help/advice/comments will be most gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

Housten.

The point which I was alluding to was that your registry "is probably not broken and does not need to be fixed"

One the face of it registry cleaners appear to be beneficial because they tidy up the registry and things run faster immediately after use.

It's a bit like tidying up the kids toys and putting them all back in their correct boxes. But as soon as the kids start to play again,or reversing the analogy,you start opening programs - it all becomes a fragmented mess again. Windows,especially Vista and W7,is designed to deal with that.

Many registry cleaners (and I would agree that the one contained within CCleaner is probably one of the safest)can be downright dangerous to use as the repercussions of removing "apparently" dead or redundant entries in the registry may not be discovered for days by which time it is too late to reverse the procedure.

So called Optimization programs can be just as bad. Two of the more popular,WinASO and Advanced System Care,used to actually reverse each others optimization settings. They may still do for all I know.

Personally I have had far fewer problems with any of my machines since I stopped using anything which messes with the registry.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

"Two of the more popular,WinASO and Advanced System Care,used to actually reverse each others optimization settings"

They still do, I use both programmes winaso has the better optimisation.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

stlucia2,

Yes I have been using Revo and find it very useful.

cocteau48,

Thank you for your elucidation! what I did - probabaly stupidly - was to try a lot of programmes out. Consequently there was a load of trash in my registry which was left over when I subsequently got rid of the programmes and I thought it best to get these out of the way. Although..I have another thread on here that deals with a slow boot up, apparently, from when I downloaded and installed an Nvidia driver for my card. Having got advice, followed it, mucked up my computer even further, reverted to the previous driver, mucked my computer up even more I have been forced back to the original download, even though I have - at least for me - a very, very slow boot up. I am now trying to clean everything up, as I have given up trying to get back to where it was, so that I have a - relatively - clean start up, boot up or whatever else. So that is why I have been cleaning my registry, a nightmare granted but, at least I think so, a necessity! I have no doubt some will agree and some won't - but that's life!!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There comes a time when a clean re-install of Windows is the solution and you may have reached that point.

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

The comments on this thread prompted me to re-read the Registry Cleaner page on Gizmo's excellent website,enter link description here

where I noticed that the Pro version of the Wise registry cleaner is currently free until the end of September.

I decided to try a small experiment,and having taken a full disk image,I downloaded,installed and ran the Wise cleaner along with its full optimization feature. Even though it apparently found 189 errors of which it was safe to fix about 170 and the optimization was supposed to speed up my boot time ,I found that my boot time was actually worse by up to half a minute after running the optimization.

Needless to say my disk image was used to return to status quo.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014