We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

computer reformatting

Bike-it

Likes # 0

I will soon be selling my laptop, so what do I need to do so that all my things and traces of all activity are wiped from the laptop and take it back to a factory state. Is there any way of storing all the updates from windows so I don't have to download them all again?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

so what do I need to do so that all my things and traces of all activity are wiped from the laptop

Safest way is to physical scrap the hard drive with a big hammer :0)

and take it back to a factory state

buy a new drive copy the restore partition from old drive to new and do a factory restore.

If you don't want to go that far do a factory restore and the download and install CCleaner and use the "wipe free space" tool (7 times) to clear everything else from the drive your data will unrecoverable unless you have CSI tools :0)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Nope - The Windows update is "not" saved anywhere in a sense that you think of a file that is updating your system. IT gets downloaded to your computer, then installed, and then deleted. And all that is left behind is a Update folder that just containts information on what was updated. In addition Windows Updates are downloaded "in order of need"

Once you have restored you could go to Microsoft Catalogue for your updates. This allows you to select what you need - ie: Service Pack, other updates, optional updates and place them in "your basket" ready for download.

Like this post
Bike-it

Likes # 0

Fruitbat if i download ccleaner and use the wipe free space tool will it do any harm to the operating system MS vista?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove all your personal data, delete your profile and set up a new one.

Then use the wipe free space tool. The OS will and installed programs will remain untouched.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

try to download a program called eraser, this should be free and u be able to erase the files folders and os.

when u run it be prepared for a couple hours

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

download from hereeraser

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

I personally use acronis but its not free.

Like this post
VOT Productions

Likes # 0

Try using your hard drive manufacturer's tools. Usually that requires a DVD disk or a flash drive. As far as updates go, no.

Like this post
sheraz.civnom

Likes # 0

You cannot store your windows updates. If you wanna do this just download from microsoft website. To wipe all your data you can either destroy your hard drive and install a new one or you any disc formating software like disckill to destroy everything on your computer.

Sheraz.Civnom www.civnomtechnologies.com

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback