We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Complete loss of sound

avesnes1
Resolved

Likes # 0

A couple of weeks ago I had an occasional flicker on my screen. I thought I had cured it but it returned and eventually one morning I turned the desktop on and was greeted with a blank screen. The local computer shop replaced the graphics card (Radeon X1600) with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 220. The drivers for the NVIDIA card have been installed onto my XP and my W7 which are on separate drives with a dual boot arrangement.The graphics on both systems seem OK.

However, when I run either XP or W7, I have no sound and device manager says that "No audio device is installed". On XP there is no little speaker on the task bar next to the time and on W7 there is a red cross over the little speaker.

The local computer shop had the machine this afternoon but was unable to fix the missing sound.

I have checked all the cables and connectors for the two speakers and the woofer and the green light on the woofer is lit.

I would be grateful for members' views/comments/guidance/ideas on how to correct this problem.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

you could go on the nvidia web site and try dowloading the current up to date audio driver for NVIDIA GeForce GT 220.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe run SIW it tells you what you have on your computer.

Go into sound devices and see what it is and look for a driver for it.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

I followed Snrub's advice and found that the NVIDIA website has an email helpline which asked if I had changed the "Onboard Audio" from "Auto" to "Enabled".

I went into my BIOS, made the change and the sound has returned. The only thing missing now is the little speaker icon on the taskbar.

Many thanks Snrub for the advice.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

Further to my previous message at 8:10pm, to get the volume icon back in the system tray:-

Run mmsys.cpl Select "Place volume icon in the taskbar" Click OK

Like this post  
Snrub

Likes # 0

avesnes1 your very welcome, glad its sorted

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I hope you didn't pay the local computer shop.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

Woolwell,

No, I didn't pay him for trying to fix the problem. I shall pop round there tomorrow and enlighten him on both fixes. Actually he does have a good reputation locally so I won't be too hard on him.

Regards

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks