We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My Security Has Gone Mad!

shaduf

Likes # 0

I am running XP with no problems and rely on Microsoft Security Essentials for my security and it is kept up to date. This morning I went to the Ebay site in the normal way but didn't log on. Then I noticed I was already logged on. I logged out and shut the computer down then started up again and went to ebay. I found I was still logged on. Several forums I go on are now acting in the same way and I am getting error messages about the various sites Security Certificate Errors.

I am unable to access some sites because I get an error message saying the sites Security Certificates are either out of date or not yet valid. This is most unlikely with some of the companies sites I have tried to access.

Even now on this PC Advisor Forum there is a message at the top of the screen saying "To help protect your security Internet Explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors.Click here for options."

I am running Explorer 8 and I believe I only downloaded it recently. Would it help if I went back to Explorer 7 if that is possible?

I have a second computer and this does not show all these errors. My second computer runs Windows 7 but I have not yet finished with my old one although I will soon move across.

Meanwhile can anyone suggest what's wrong.

Shaduf

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Repeatedly tap F8 to get into safe mode, then run a System Restore back to before things started going haywire.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is the time and date on the system correct?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is the time and date on the system correct?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I meant to say, Restart your computer then do the F8 bit etc .....

Like this post
shaduf

Likes # 0

Thanks for the very swift responses. I feel a bit of a wally now. The answer was to reset the system clock. It was showing 2003!! So obvious now I think about it. That's why the various sites were alleged to have Security Certificate Errors because they were seen by my computer as being of non valid dates.

Thanks again, although retired I am now going to be a clock watcher again until I get a new battery which will probably be the answer.

Shaduf

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Easily done.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Good - thanks for your feedback.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...