We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nikon 4gb SD high speed picture card stopped working with laptop

Daisy22

Likes # 0

For some reason my Nikon camera card is not being read by the Acer laptop, OS windows 7.

It used to work but now it doesn't automatically show it when I insert the card and doesn't seem to be found.

What should I do to rectify the problem?

Like this post
Daisy22

Likes # 0

I forgot to mention the laptop is less than a year old since purchase, would this be a problem the shop should fix?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

If it's a hardware fault then yes... I suspect it is not though.

The final way to "prove" that is to do a reinstall of Windows which is easy on an Acer as it has a built in recovery partition that puts it all back to day one. You lose ALL your data and applications you have intsalled though. It's explained in the user manual on your HDD (search for Acer).

That really is a last resort though.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Have you tried downloading direct from the camera?

Like this post
Daisy22

Likes # 0

HSS - yes, it downloads via the USB cable from camera to laptop

It is just annoying that this used to work just about a week ago, and now it doesn't.

I think I might have to go down the recovery route to see if it works after that.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Have you got an adapter that uses USB that you can try?
At least, this might show if your slot is not working

Good luck

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Daisy 22

This suggests that the inbuilt reader is at fault, a new reader will cost just a few pounds Card Readers

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Final thought... look in device manager and look for something called PCMCIA adapter as that is what Acer call the card reader on mine (Vista).

If it's there, expand the tab and look and see what it says. You could try uninstalling it and then rebooting. You might need the driver from Acer afterwards if W7 can't find one.

Or... try going to one of the Acer sites, http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads.html

locate your model and OS and download and run the card reader driver for your laptop and see if that reinstalls it and solves the problem.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

This might seem duff but have you accidentally locked the sd card. Easily done when taking it i9n and out of devices.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room