We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nikon 4gb SD high speed picture card stopped working with laptop

Daisy22

Likes # 0

For some reason my Nikon camera card is not being read by the Acer laptop, OS windows 7.

It used to work but now it doesn't automatically show it when I insert the card and doesn't seem to be found.

What should I do to rectify the problem?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Check under the USB section of Device Manager. The card reader "might" be incorrectly listed as "unknown" device. Unistall it and let Windows re-detect it.

Like this post
Daisy22

Likes # 0

Thanks for that but it didn't resolve the problem when I tried it, the card was still not detected.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Have you checked Control Panel>>Hardware & Sound>>autoplay. Check Pictures. I have mine set to "Take No Action" You probably want "Open Folder to View Files Using Windows Explorer" selected, or possibly one of the other actions listed in the dropdown box.

Like this post
Daisy22

Likes # 0

Tried that too but the card drive is still inactive. It doesn't appear in devices in My Computer.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Insert card and try clicking the start orb bottom left and then "computer" from the right hand list.

Does it show there and if so if you click it you should find all your photos ?

Do other cards of less than 4gb work ? A 4gb one will be a high capacity SD card and many readers do not work correctly with these. Try the above with a 2gb or less "standard" SD card.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981642

Did this problem occur after any recent changes to your PC. Maybe try system restore if so to a date before this problem occured.

Like this post
Daisy22

Likes # 0

I've tried the other SD card, both of which always worked in my computer before.

A few days ago I plugged my son's mobile phone in to one of the USB ports so think the problems have started due to this. I did get an error message come up (but can't remember what it said,something like the device was not recognised).

I've tried 2 system restores and gone back to the date before I used the mobile phone/usb device, it hasn't worked.

I have windows 7 - is there a way to do a repair without losing all my documents, photos etc. I do have the recovery discs if this is the only way to get the SD memory port to work again, but I know how lengthy this process can be.

Thanks for help

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Don't know if this would help or not, http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardwaredeviceproblems/en-us

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Link doesn't come out right, http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardwaredeviceproblems/en-us

enter link description here

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Click where it says "enter link description here"

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

I think maybe some confusion exists between a USB failure to find a driver for a mobile phone after it was plugged in

This would indicate that the USB port was working normally

On the SD memory card slot on a laptop (unlike on a desktop PC) is not a USB device

In device manager the it will show in the listing usually as SD Host Adapters

The SD card ports are fairly robust but like many other devices they can and do fail

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK