We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vcore voltage fluctuation

tonyB1983

Likes # 0

Hi,

I've had ongoing problems with my home PC for the last few months. it started with the dreaded event ID 4101 "gfx driver stopped responding error" causing system crashes, so I replaced my graphics card and everything's seemed fine for a few months after.

However, the other day these problems started again and after going away from my desk for a while I returned to find the computer off. I thought nothing of it, as it is set to hibernate after a while. However, when I tried turning it back on, it started for about 2 seconds, the shut off, then started again for 2 seconds. It kept doing this until I turned off the PSU on the back of the unit. I then switched it back on again and the machine was running properly again.

Knowing that random weird PC behaviour can be down to a faulty PSU, I decided to download some software tools to look at voltage. I notice that my vcore voltage is fluctuating every second to values between 1.008 and 1.216 (even at idle). I'm pretty sure this isn't good, as I compared it to my friends PC and his was only fluctuating by about +/- 0.008 (even under load). Kinda annoying though because I have a OCZ branded PSU which from what I can tell is a pretty good one (although I have had a good quality Antec PSU in my previous build, which died completely after 2 years of use).

I'm thinking that these voltage fluctuations could well be the cause for the TDR (timeout detection recovery in Windows 7) causing the random gfx driver crashes.

Please could anyone advise as to whether this is normal PSU behaviour or should alarm bells be ringing. I've used tools such as OCCT, Speedfan and HWmonitor to monitor the voltages and they all say the same stuff. What are others' vcore readings?

Thanks

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Could it be the CPU that you are using that's doing it? Don't think this is what your problem is. Go into Power Management and set the Hard Drive to Never Power Down

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

We had a similar problem with one of my son's PC's a little while ago. The fluctuating voltages lead me to believe it was the PSU but changing that made very little difference whatsoever. I had already cleaned the CPU & fan and applied new paste in case that was the problem but finally ended up changing the motherboard. It must have been a component breakdown on the motherboard as the voltages then became stable with both the PSU's that were tried when the instability was showing.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I wouldn't worry too much about it, mines always gone up and down like a yo-yo I don't think it makes any difference.

Like this post
tonyB1983

Likes # 0

Thanks,

@woodchip - harddrive is already set to Never Power Down. I'd doubt the CPU is dodgy, they're usually fairly reliable from experience, but I guess I could check it.

@canarieslover - that was my other suspect device. However, bit of a mission changing the motherboard, so I'd prefer to test other devices first.

Cheers guys :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home