We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

problem with encrypted folder

wobblymike

Likes # 0

i have some private files inside a zipped compressed folder which is itself inside a folder. i have had no problems accessing them till now.

my laptop has a single hard drive partitioned into 4 c,d,e,f with c the drive which holds the xp os. the private encrypted files are on the f drive.

i have had the need a few days ago to reinstall the os. to do so i reformatted the c drive and reinstalled the os. everything else is fine except i can no longer access my private encrypted files. when i go to the f drive i open the folder and can the see the compressed zipped folder containing my files. when i double click it i get accees denied message. i have no idea why or how to access the folder. any help gratefully received

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

It would help if you said HOW you encrypted them.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"i have had the need a few days ago to reinstall the os.......when i double click it i get accees denied message."

It very much sounds like you used the EFS (Encrypting File System) feature that's built into XP Professional. If that's the case, did you export your personal certificate and private key as a file before you re-installed Windows?

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

If you encrypted them using EFS which is built into XP it creates a certificate / Key which is stored on the root of your Profile and in your Personal Certifactes store

If you have Wiped the OS i dont beleive you have much hope of recovering them. You could try adding a DRA (Data recovery Agent) using the cipher command via the command prompt

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"If you have Wiped the OS i dont beleive you have much hope of recovering them."

I've got a bad feeling about this too but all may not be lost, because if IIRC, XP prompts the user to backup their certificate and key the first time encryption is used. If Mike does have that file then it's a straightforward process to import it.

Sadly, creating a Recovery Agent after the OS has been re-installed won't help Mike decrypt his data.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If not encryption problem then maybe a profile problem.

Access Files If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed. To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

Access Files XP Home Simple file sharing is enabled by default in XP Home Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab. or http://www.whitsoftdev.com/rshx/ or http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/08/03/enable-and-display-security-tab-in-windows-xp-home-edition/ and click on the link at part one and download the required program. Follow the instructions and the security tab will be enabled. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY OR YOU COULD DENY ACCESS TO ALL YOUR FILES.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...