We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

usb devices not showing

orsta

Likes # 0

When ever I plug in my usb hard drive into my Windows 7 based laptop they are not shown in "My Computer", but are in "Disk Management", where I can assign a drive letter, but a different one each time the drive is plugged in.

Searching Google, it would suggest a driver needs updating, but replacing the driver for the usb hard drive does not fix it. Would updating the Motherboard driver solve this? and where would I go for the latest. I have already had a look on HP's web site without success.

Or is there another permanent fix for this?

c

Like this post
Poitier

Likes # 0

Hi, I do not use Windows7 and do not know whether it helps but using Aconis with XP I had a similar problem.That was fixed by reinstalling the generic volume drivers.

Like this post
orsta

Likes # 0

OK i'll have a look..

c

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I used Acronis TI on my previous PC with XP O/S no problem. I had a similar problem with that PC and USB drives. If all else fails try this. The solution was to shut down unplug every thing even the mains plug and leave overnight so all capacitors etc discharge. Plug every thing back in boot up and in my case all was well.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ghost device conflicts are the mostly cause especially for devices that are connected and disconnected regularly i.e. pen drives, external drives, mp3 devices and phones.

Remove all USB devices

Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Like this post
orsta

Likes # 0

I am currently doing a system back up before trying out any suggestions. Will have a look again in the morning.

Thanks to all for now.

c

Like this post
Poitier

Likes # 0

To reinstall the drivers in XP,open Device Manager click view/show hidden devices, expand storage right click and delete the drivers.Reboot and Windows reinstalls the drivers.

Like this post
orsta

Likes # 0

Not doing to well with this one. Used USB Device View and killed off all the necessary drivers restarted and installed each USB device one by one. It urns out the culprit is my Buffalo USB hard Drive HD-PV500U2 and Windows 7 don't get along to well Every thing works fine with Vista though.

c

Like this post
sheraz.civnom

Likes # 0

Try to update your usb drivers and try to connect your external hard drive to any other computer and check either it works fine or having the same problem.

Sheraz.civnom www.civnomtechnologies.com

Like this post
orsta

Likes # 0

Hi Sheraz,

It works fine on an Vista based machine. I have already tried updating and uninstalling the drivers, al to no avail.

I'm putting this down to using Windows.

I may in a couple of days time try some of the suggestions again.

c

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......