We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Very, very slow bootup?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what stupidity I have committed!

I have spent a substantial chunk of the weekend, yesterday and this morning 'tidying' up my desktop. I had a lot of programmes that could do the same job so I decided to dlete the others, but NOT the file I downloaded and installed them from. If I need to install them in the future I have the file ready to go! So I thought I had been quite good and - if I am honest - a bit clever, but in a way it now seems to have blown up in my face!

I had to re-boot the computer and I noticed that there was the same problem as I had on boot up this morning. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit and everything goes quite well until the four colours appear, then the icons 'twitch' [ I think that's the best explanation ], they go white and a second later revert to what they should be. I use avast and have a clock, temperature and sky news from 'ms gadgets' on my desktop, but these are now taking almost 2 minutes to appear, whereas they used to appear after about 15 - 20 seconds. and until they appear the computer is almost useless. I ran 'msconfig' and only have 4 programmes at start up, and these have been the same for at least a couple of weeks, so why the slow start up completely baffles me and I would be very grateful if anyone has an idea of what I have done wrong, AND what I need to do to get the computer ready to go in the time it used to take.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

get rid of winaso since i have had problems running it.

Download advanced system care 4 from cnet and run that.

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

Just a word of caution.

Winaso's and Advanced System Cares's optimization features have always been at odds with one another. What one does the other will undo and vice versa.

For some reason ASC4 really upset my boot procedure.

Personally I now stay clear of all so called optimization programs. ,unless I have a full disk image to fall back on.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Another update!! Or should that be 'downdate'?? Over the weekend I followed Nvidia suggestions and downloaded older screen driver. It almost - you feel like it anyway - wrecked my computer! So I have gone back to the 'new' one - although it now appears to be doing nothing, the hard drive use light is flashing every two or three seconds, and the waiting time is now almost four minutes. I have emailed Nvidia - yet again - but I don't think they or anybody will be able to correct this problem and so I have, effectively, given up. I know that this is defeatist but the shear length of time I have spent trying to 'correct' this problem means I have about 2 years start up time in hand!! I have got to the position that the time and effort I have put into this just isn't worth the candle.

Of course if somebody were to have a definitive solution, then...........

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia