We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Live Mail Address Book

Border View
Resolved

Likes # 0

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but these days I cant even find the search box for helproom.

I run with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I have just tried to compose an e-mail under Windows Live Mail and cannot find my address book. It takes me to a box of favouries or other such rubbish.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of my address book in Windows Live. Wish to goodness THEY would stop messing about with a system that worked OK.

Rant over

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The latest WLM store the contacts in .edb files. They are normally located at C:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts Note: \AppData is normally hidden, and the folders under the above folder are protected operating system files. (To show hidden files,folders etc. go to Control Panel - Folder Options - View Tab - under Hidden Files & Folders - select Show Hidden Files, folders & Drives - click Apply - OK I would try copying the entire folder above.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In WLM have a look at the lower left hand side for the 'contacts' folder. Select that then you get a list of all your contacts. Either click on a contact or hover the mouse pointer and select 'send email' or if no context menu shows itself then click on the address and a window pops-up to send mail.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Or open a new mail and click on the envelope icon on the 'To' box - then select your address from the list that opens

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

What was happening was when I tried to compose an e-mail and clicked on the "To" button no contacts were shown. I was told that there were no addresses in my Hotmail address book and to search using "VeriSign Internet Directory Service" Was not keen on that at all.

I am not happy to have Hotmail coming direct to my computer. So I signed out.

Now when I try to compose an e-mail with just my own ISP e-mail account and click on the "To" button low and behold there are all my contacts.

I think W7 is brilliant but must admit there are some parts I am not keen on. WLM feels as though it is trying to take control, instead of me controlling it.

Many thanks for responding everyone.

Like this post  
David4637

Likes # 0

northumbria61 or anyone- that is very useful info, does this folder with *.edb files (with Contacts) also have the files for the send, inbox folders etc, similar to OE6 which were called *.dbx files? Thanks David

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

I there a simple way to save the inbox folder of emails in Windows Live Mail? Thanks David

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Might be better if you started a new thread with your question.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...