We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help i have done a system restore and its gone wrong

ballyboy

Likes # 0

i have a hp pavillion pc which is running windows xp i lost my driver for the sound system i tried to find it but could not so on start up of the pc i pressed f10 for a system recovery.this is where it has all gone pete tong i presume i pressed the wrong key and the system has reset itself using the original setup that came with the pc i tried to restore to a earlier time but i cannot do this i have lost photos and videos as well as files i had down loaded.please can anyone help me to recover my system that i cocked up.any help would be brilliant or can anyone suggest somewhere i can take it to many thanks in advance allastaire

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You should be able to recover documents but I advise you to disconnect from the net as updates will override file headings possibly. Try Recuva

but you'll need a flash drive or a portable hard drive, for the recovered files to be sent to.

Like this post
ballyboy

Likes # 0

hi thanks for the info but it has not worked there are no picture or video files i also seem to have lost a lot of disc memory it says i should have 145 gb but now i only have 45gb i will have to take it to someone to fix many thanks al

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

sorry mate but u need the xp disc and the driver discs, sometimes if you visit the manufacturer website you might be lucky to download drivers from the site

Like this post
VOT Productions

Likes # 0

I think you have done a back to manufacturer state restore. Try Recuva. Also, you may have to put it on a deep scan.

Like this post
sheraz.civnom

Likes # 0

You can use any third party recovery software to recover your data. Data is still on your hard drive but you have done Factory default settings instead of using Windows System restore option.

Thanks

www.civnomtechnologies.com

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

F10 System Recovery is not the same thing as Restore, as you've found out.

As for your disk size, presumably you're talking about your C:\ drive? Is there another drive on your machine which uses up the "missing" 100Gb? My HP originally came with C:\ and D:\ partitions on the HDD, with D:\ being where HP put the system recovery software.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

This is a long shot.

If you are saying that the recovery has used an extra 100GB the restore programs may have create a folder where all of you old files are stores. Open explorer and look at your C drive for an unusually large folder it may be called Windows old.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September