We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Malware defences

hatrickj

Likes # 0

I have Win7 64 bit Home Premium; Avast6 (free); Malwarebytes (free); Windows Firewall.

What other defence(s) would you now recommend, something like Trojan Hunter that IIRC had a very good reputation for finding threats that other defences did not?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The only one I'd add would be Superantispyware.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I'd choose Emsisoft Antimalware because it's very thorough on a full scan. Malwarebytes on the other hand is likely to find anything major on a quick scan but doesn't do well on a full one.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What you have is good, you could add Spywareblaster as a blocker as it does use any resources.

Add anything else and you are using up resources for little gain and possible conflicts

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I had an idea I had some problems Malwarebytes ans SuperAntispyware did not pick them up, but I D/l a time limited copy of Emisoft Antimalware that found 2 trojans and removed them.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - Matter of opinion! Spyware blocker does use resources but admittedly not that much as others.

st-clares - I agree, There are conflicts between those two but just because one program picks something up doesn't mean it's bad. With Emsisoft (Free Version) when it downloads new definitions you can rescan the quarantine and re-instate anything that's gone there by mistake. I Like that feature, no other programme seems to have that.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Not sure how you can say spywareblaster uses resorces when you only need to run it to update it and enable all protection, after that its closed and not using any as all it does is block access to nasty sites by putting references into the registry.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ with spywareblaster, it uses the registry to block known bad activX that can run in your browser. As I only run FF and IE9 I don't know how many browsers it supports now. Spybot Search&Destroy is also a blocker but uses the hosts file.

Like this post
hatrickj

Likes # 0

Spywareblaster looks good. However it only works with IE and Firefox. Shame as I am using Chrome. :C

Does that open up other ideas, perhaps?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Emisoft is good at detection but has a lot of false positives, I have stopped using it now.

recommend spywareblaster,SAS,MBAM.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I was not crititising Malwarebytes and Spywareblaster. I have used them for many years. Over that time maybe I have been lucky, they have picked up little over the years. I am still have 24 days left of the full download version, but in my case it has logged few false positives.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback