We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Medion laptop wont boot up- What do i do?

bob dob

Likes # 0

Help. My faithful 4 year old Medion MIM2230 laptop will not start up. I recently turned it off, opened the laptop and all i got was the two or three red lights on the front left but it wouldn't boot up. Normally i have to wait for 20 seconds or so then one of the lights turns blue and and then it starts up ok. Today, unfortunately, there isn't even a red light on the front and wont start up at all!

Now my main laptop is a Medion akoya that is a year old, i tried the power lead from that in my old Medion and there was still no power whatsoever.

Please can anyone tell me what to do?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Ps- should the power lead from the new one work in the old one?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try it with the battery removed and just use the power lead.

Or remove the battery and the power lead and hold down the start button for 20 seconds then install the power lead again and battery and see if it starts.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Hello, ok i have done that and nothing. I even tried the old laptop charger in my new Medion and it works fine. What do you think the problem could be please?

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

have you the driver disc for your old laptop

if so insert into your new laptop and look for the manual should be in pdf.

when u find it find out what the red lights mean and there might be a solution why it may not boot.

Also try taking out the battery and disconnect power cord. The press the power button on the laptop for a bout a minute, then insert the battery and the power cord and see if runs.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Thank you for that. Ok, no driver disc im afraid. Well unfortunately i cannot be sure which red lights lit up anyway, there are 6 all in all.

Thatnk you for the advice about taking the battery out etc, i have tried that but still no luck!

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

bob you may have a load of dust accumulated over the last for years hence thats why it may not boot. If you can ground yourself having anti static wrist gizmo and opening the laptop and try cleaning out the fan

Look in youtube on how to do this

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

So if the fan was full of dust, this would stop the laptop from booting up?

Like this post
PcTestCard.co.uk

Likes # 0

There are 3 major stages for a computer to work: 1 power on, 2 POST 3 boot to the OS

When you said no startup, sometimes sounds like no screen display but power is there. Next you said you tried th power lead from the other laptop and still no power, so is that just the LEDs turned on on your laptop and the computer shows no display screen, right?

If this is the situation, we call the laptop gets power but no POST.

More details can help us better assist you.

Cheers! Bill

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Hi Bill, thank you for your help, that is xtremely kind of you.

What i meant was that even with the other power leade there is still no LED light, no sound (as if it starts up)- quite simply nothing at all.

What on earth can i do?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Hello, anyone?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite