We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Disabled services..now IE+Firefox wont connect+other errors-Please help?

buel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, Please can someone offer a bit of advice? On a laptop i have(Vista), i have just followed the advice regarding disabling services from Black Viper's site (recommended to me on this forum, i have uninstalled a bit of HP bloatware and restarted the computer. Now i find that even though it says it is connected wirelessly to the internet, Firefox or IE dont connect. Oddly, Firefox doesn't even try to bring up the homepage of Google and is blank and says 'new tab' with a white background. IE just says 'connecting'

Also, i have an a box coming up telling me that dial up connection isn't working...i haven't used dial up for over 7 years!! Finally, Avast is failing to connect and it suggested that the firewall was maybe blocking it so i checked and my firewall was off!! Now i have turned it back on it says it is 'not using the recommended settings'?

I apologise for putting all the errors im suffering into one post but i thought i should offer as much info as possible in order for someone to help me.

Thank you in advance!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

See if you can get into safe mode and try a system restore.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Did you not create a System Restore point before making all the changes?

Or, do you have a System Restore point to get back to?

Can you open I.E., if so, go to Tools/Internet Options/Connections and make sure 'Never dial a connection' is ticked.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

that is brilliant. Yes the annoying dial up thing has now stopped and i used system restore in safe mode and it worked.

One thing i will say was odd that when i clicked on system restore (before id gone into safe mode) it wouldn't appear. If i clicked on it again it would just tell me that it was already running but it wasn't showing as running in the task manager. Have anyone an idea why this was so?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I dunno why that happens, but it is not that unusual - I sometimes get the same phenomenon when opening Skype.

Glad all is ok for you again.

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 0

when i clicked on system restore (before id gone into safe mode) it wouldn't appear. If i clicked on it again it would just tell me that it was already running but it wasn't showing as running in the task manager. Have anyone an idea why this was so?

It sometimes happens when a program is slow to respond/open and by clicking on it again you get that message that it is already running. Had you waited for it to respond you wouldn't have seen the "error" message.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes