We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems converting FAT32 to NTFS

Ellion

Likes # 0

I'm using XP pro with SP3. I'm trying to convert from FAT32 to NTFS. I have tried running "convert" from the command prompt and receive the message " convert is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" After plenty of research i looked at the environment variables to check the path. As this was correct i looked in the system32 folder and I have found that "convert.exe" is not there. Any advice please

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

To convert your drives to NTFS:

Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage' From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'

Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information. Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'

To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs' So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type

'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

Like this post
Ellion

Likes # 0

Sorry I'm not being rude but did you read my post fully? all attempts at doing the conversion via the command prompt give the message " convert is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". I have checked in the system32 file and convert.exe is not there. hence my question.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes I did fully read your post however if you did not type the command exactly right you would receive an error.

If you think you are missing windows files then you need to do a repair

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer. This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggestion should hopefully rectify your problem. If you still cannot format the drive you could always download one of the free Partition programs.

EaseUs Partition Master

or

Paragon Partition Manager 11

Like this post
Ellion

Likes # 0

Thanks both of you for your suggestions. BRYNIT: I had tried Easeus and Partition wizzard both of which just "did nothing"...... didn't freeze, didn't move on just "did nothing" :-( Problem is now solved the drive is now NTFS. I ran scannow as Fruitbat suggested, and it did not find any missing or broken files. I ran a search for "convert.exe" and it was located in the system32\dllcache folder not directly in the system32 folder. Instead of moving the file I right clicked my computer, properties, advance tab, environment variables button. On the variable "Path" clicked edit and added ";C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache" to the end of the string. Opened the command prompt again and convert worked perfectly! Obviously (in hindsite of course) the command was looking in the wrong place.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks